3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Back Seat Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM
mike_b
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is gained by doing this mod? How many inches of space between the seat back in the normal position and the back wall of the cab.

Thanks
Mike B

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Yeah how much room do we have to work with back there? I would rather have my amps back there, vice under the seats.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Matt99
Champion

The difference is that without removing 4 torx screws...which are a dirty b###h to get out....you just lift and the seats are off...If you are wanting to put an amp back there it is the way to go. You will have easy access to it, otherwise it will take you 30 minutes to remove the seat if it catches fire/has troubles

Old 02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Do you have any more photos yet?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey matt you ever get your box to sit in there right? if not i made relief cuts in the bottom fabric down in the holes to get mine to sit in there correct....

Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the pictures but I dont really understand how it works? Just by flipping the catches upside down?? Does the seat catch still, or am I gonna be out 4x4ing and get pissed cause my seat back keeps falling down?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

it still catches if the bottom of the seat (the part you sit on) is down. to unhook it you have to lift the bottom, pull the top forward, then drop both of them forward. to rehook you lift the top, then lift the bottom, then drop the bottom to lock it.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Its an interesting idea, my amps are already back there and I never thought about doing that. There isnt much room btw to the person who asked unless you cut out portions of the sound dampening material back on the wall, then use very very short self tapping screws and silicone to mount your amps on that back wall. I have 2 mounted back there and I am really happy with that spot, especially with people not being able to know where my amps are.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
it still catches if the bottom of the seat (the part you sit on) is down. to unhook it you have to lift the bottom, pull the top forward, then drop both of them forward. to rehook you lift the top, then lift the bottom, then drop the bottom to lock it.

Your explaining that you need to unbolt the bottom bolts and lift the seat up to be able to fold it.

Well, you have to do that anyways, so what does this actually accomplish? i'm confused
The only way to fold the seat down IS to lift the bottom like you are saying, but that can be accomplished without flipping those brackets over. Does it just allow you to "loosen" the bottom bolts up rather than taking them out for the full lift to fold the back down?
Cuz, the seat WILL NOT lift up unless the bottom bolts are loosened. Atleast mine won't.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I think what he is saying is that when you fold the seat down it drops the brackets downward which gives you the ability to fold the seat down without having to loosen the bottom bolts at all. if you watch your seat when you fold it it moves somewhat downward into those brackets, you switch them around on the seat and it will drop down out of the brackets instead.

Quick Reply: DIY Back Seat Mod