3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
MADMAXIN22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else experience this?

1st off after sitting for a while, when i jump in my truck and try to go either foward or reverse, the RPMS go up to almost 2k before it even starts to move, i searched and there is a TSB for the oil cooler filter in the trans bleeding back causing delayed engagement but wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else.

the 2nd issue i just experienced for the 2nd time since owning the truck for two weeks is that i was going around a very slight bend uphill and was romping down on her pretty good. When the truck rev'd out and shifted into 2nd gear it was like the steering had zero resistance for a split second while it shifted and almost caused me to lose control. I felt this one other time and its hard to explain other than it happens for a split second when shifting 1-2 and the steering just go's totally free with no resistance. hope that makes sense

Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

u have a 2006 so it is prob still under warranty. take it to the dealer. i have never had that happen to me. but it sounds bad! could be a trany problem or even a serious alignment problem. i really have no idea. sounds weird!!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

I've had mine to the dealer three times for the "delayed" engagement problem but they won't fix it. It's "working as intended" and "all vehicles have a slight delay". Whatever...... I'm just patient and let it prime up for 10 seconds then go about my business.... It's been doing it for over a year and hasn't got worse so I guess everything is fine.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Toefur
Professional

Just had mine in for delayed engagment also. I got the "working as intended" treatment also.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Cheeech
Banned

The steering almost sounds like bump-steer which is loss of control of steering usually caused from changing the ride height. maybe one of your shocks is bad? i would have them check the alignment to make sure it's all good.
My rpms jump up a little before it engages as well. Not to 2k though. maybe a hundred or two rpms at most, but i have noticed it. I've got an '08

Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 03 work pickup does this all the time when it sits for more than a day. Just takes some time to build pressure

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Alpheus
Banned

Your steering issue is easy to explain. You are driving one of the best looking and finley tuned trucks ever created by the hands of man. When your steering had no resitance, is because when it down shifted in to 2nd gear your front tires were in the air...

Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
BLRam_05
Amateur

i had the same problem and they told me the fluids needed changing and the filters replaced, so i let them do it and it still has the delay. i just get in and let it warm up for 30 seconds and then put it in gear.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Your steering issue is easy to explain. You are driving one of the best looking and finley tuned trucks ever created by the hands of man. When your steering had no resitance, is because when it down shifted in to 2nd gear your front tires were in the air...
lmao!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Alright alpheus, you got me on that one. That made me laugh, out loud.

Quick Reply: anyone else experience this?