3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I throw more money at this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecrase2500
I don't have my manual handy, but aren't plugs and wires supposed to last longer than 67,000kms (~42,000 miles)? This is not a severe-duty truck, but a daily driver on the highway.

Anyway, I think your suggested approach makes sense, assuming it corrects those issues for more than a few months. The question nagging at me is "what else will go wrong?" That transfer case has gone twice now. Keep in mind a whole new transfer case was installed last year before the servomotor went. I don't know if the new one's malfunction is what burned out my TIPM or vice versa.

If I was driving a 1995 Ram, I'd say all this is par for the course, but it's a 2006! My wife's 2006 Subaru Legacy went to the dealer for a glove box latch adjustment under warranty and it hasn't had single issue since. Only expenses have been oil and filter changes, wiper blades, etc.
I don't know what the plugs are rated for but they're a pretty cheap way to make sure everything is working at max capability. I plan to change mine every 20k miles or so. This and the throttle body are the first place to look with starting issues.

My truck has been the complete opposite of your experience. I bought it 2 years and 20k miles ago and it's been perfect. It has needed nothing at all, though now it's time for a tuneup / belts / hoses since it has 62k on the clock. It may have something to do with the various items that were updated for the later 3rd-gen trucks.

My other car is a 2005 Legacy GT that I bought new in Sept 2004. I've blown two stock turbos on it and it's now getting a serious upgrade so I don't keep replacing the same parts over & over. It should make ~ 400hp to the wheels and I won't have to touch another stock turbo!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your repairs should be coverd under warenty, even if they were reparied under warenty, any out of pocket expenses should be coverd by a warenty, its silly that your repairing or replacing parts that should be coverd by mopar and the dealer.

I would Kick the dealer in the nutts, throw a nice bright yellow lemon sign in the window, park in front of the dealer.

Even if you bought it used, the dealer should be offering a warenty over and above dodges, last time I looked, I saw a lor of Rams on my dealers lot...

Buying used is buying new problems..

Quick Reply: Should I throw more money at this truck?