3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to the SC programmer world

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the SC programmer world

Hey guys/gals I just bought the SC 3815 tuner for $250 yesterday and finally got to install it today. I saved the stock tune and I uploaded the 91 octane performance tune. Shifts seem firmer when I am at WOT and it seems to have a lot more when I have it running flat out. The one thing I am confused about is how it shifts during regular street driving. It seems like it doesn't want to come out of 2nd gear when I am doing 30mph. It will run 2000rpm's without me touching the gas. When I make it to 33ish it will switch up to the next gear and run 1200 rpm's with my foot out of it. I was just wondering if this was normal? Also if I was to switch tunes do I have to go back to stock before I upload another tune? And does the performance 91 tune program my transmission as well or would I be better off with the tow tune due to the fact that I am in town alot?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, congrats on the purchase. A tuner is one of the more fun mods you can get. There have been people who have issues with regular driving and the shifting. Some are that it runs the rpms up too high in first ebfore shifting, and the bog that people feel around 45 mph. Seems like you might be feeling the bog when you describe it running at 1200 rpms. Not a great thing to have but it is normal at this point until they come up with a fix. You don't have to go back to stock to upload another tune. And the 91 tune does program the trans shift points. I drive 99% in town and use the 91 tune all the time.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When was it last updated?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I picked it up monday night and updated them. I have all the new tunes including the mileage XS. I have heard some things about better street manners and still alot of power addition if you run towing tune. The 91 is very nice though and having the speedo fixed is good in my book. I noticed that is does have more power just by my regular driving in situations. It stays in gear in places where it used to have to downshift for more power. So I know that it has increased my power by a bit.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
Well I picked it up monday night and updated them. I have all the new tunes including the mileage XS. I have heard some things about better street manners and still alot of power addition if you run towing tune. The 91 is very nice though and having the speedo fixed is good in my book. I noticed that is does have more power just by my regular driving in situations. It stays in gear in places where it used to have to downshift for more power. So I know that it has increased my power by a bit.
I belive Scott from Superchips posted yesterday saying the only difference between the tow and 91 tune is less timing in the tow tune, trans settings were left the same in both. You can check in the SC sticky at the top of the page, it should be in there.

Quick Reply: New to the SC programmer world