3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is MDS really beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
evo8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is MDS really beneficial?

Hi guys,

Just recently joined. Been reading the forum as a guest for a little bit.

I have a question about MDS on my 2006 Ram.

First - I bought it about 3 months ago, did some research and found out that 2006 and new Dodge Ram 1500s with Hemi get better MPGs than older Hemi. I guess MDS is supposed to be the aid in that. Well I went and bought 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi (4x2).

I never got better than 15 mpg on the freeway and I don't really get on it. I average 13-14 mpg city, tricky part is - my on board computer is lying if you compare it to real life reading. The computer tells me I'm averaging 18 mpg, when after a fill up I devide miles driven by gallons put in and get 13-14.

Is this common with dodge computers and I'm just going to be stuck with that mpg?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the computer can be off a little bit... but i think you might be calculating it wrong. you are supposed to take the miles started with(after the fillup) then subtract that with the miles at the end of the tank. then divide that by the gallons you put in the truck
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-You...fficiency-(MPG)

Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM
evo8

That is exactly what I am doing.

Here is a procedure list for me:

1. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

2. Reset all computers (dash and dome light)

3. Fill it up to full....

4. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

5. Record how many miles were driven.

6. Divide the miles driven by the number of gallons put in

So for instance I have driven 300 miles on 22 gallons. Real calculation tells me 13.6 mpg, where my computer would be telling me 17-18 mpg I have driven since I have reset it (before fill up)

This thing always worked with my infiniti QX-56, my computer reading would always match real world calculations

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

My computer is also off as well. As for the MDS, I ran about 5k miles with it and 5k miles without it (turned it off with superchips programmer). My mileage has been *******ly the same. I get a little better highway mileage without MDS and a little better city mileage with MDS. It is extremely annoying to me so I will never turn it on again. Just my experience. Your mileage sounds normal to me. I get about 13 mpg city and 16 mpg highway.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
evo8

So MDS is not that great? I also do not get the deal with the computer. Not really complaining but 18 mpg and actually 13 mpg is a big difference. Is that a Dodge thing - just to make you feel better when you're looking at the computer while driving?

By the way, how does MDS works? How can you tell when it's off?

I tried searching for MDS but couldn't find anything

Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

y do you keep resetting the computer everytime?? i only did once when i put my intake on and it went up from 11-12.5mpgs

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by evo8
That is exactly what I am doing.

Here is a procedure list for me:

1. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

2. Reset all computers (dash and dome light)

3. Fill it up to full....

4. Run until 1/4 of a tank is left...

5. Record how many miles were driven.

6. Divide the miles driven by the number of gallons put in

So for instance I have driven 300 miles on 22 gallons. Real calculation tells me 13.6 mpg, where my computer would be telling me 17-18 mpg I have driven since I have reset it (before fill up)

This thing always worked with my infiniti QX-56, my computer reading would always match real world calculations

Not as accurate as this. it's simple, no need to make it complicated....
Fill up your tank up and reset the trip...Drive until just below 1/4 or there abouts. Re-fill totally full. Now, how many gallons did you just fill your tank up with? Take the miles that are on your trip and divide it by the number of gallons you just put back in. Gonna be around 22 for a 26gal tank for example. Tank mileage is gonna be around 330 for you. So 330miles/22gals put back in= 15mpg

I got better mileage with mds turned off on my predator. i don't like mds. not enough power to keep you going. I was always slowing down which was a constant on/off pulse with my catback and non-stop shifting with the tranny to get back up to speed. Great idea, but not really practical, especially for me I live around lots of hills.

Last edited by Cheeech; 04-29-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

MDS only works great if the wind is down or behind you and you are driving under 65 mph. If you slow down, you can get great mileage.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
evo8

Originally Posted by Cheeech
Not as accurate as this. it's simple, no need to make it complicated....
Fill up your tank up and reset the trip...Drive until just below 1/4 or there abouts. Re-fill totally full. Now, how many gallons did you just fill your tank up with? Take the miles that are on your trip and divide it by the number of gallons you just put back in. Gonna be around 22 for a 26gal tank for example. Tank mileage is gonna be around 330 for you. So 330miles/22gals put back in= 15mpg

I got better mileage with mds turned off on my predator. i don't like mds. not enough power to keep you going. I was always slowing down which was a constant on/off pulse with my catback and non-stop shifting with the tranny to get back up to speed. Great idea, but not really practical, especially for me I live around lots of hills.
Exactly the same thing, I just described it more in detail.

Anyways, from what I understand I am in the range I was supposed to be as far mpg goes, and mds seems to be complete bs

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
evo8

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
y do you keep resetting the computer everytime?? i only did once when i put my intake on and it went up from 11-12.5mpgs
I reset it everytime, just so I can compare each trip kinda deal.

I like to get everything reset with each fill up. Just like the trip odometer

Quick Reply: Is MDS really beneficial?