3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help my 2008 Dodge Ram is having problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 AM
ramtuff08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my 2008 Dodge Ram is having problems!!

Hello all!!
I am hoping someone can help!! I bought a 2008 dodge ram 1500 and love the truck but as i am driving down the highway the mds will keep "surging" between 55 and 65 miles per hour. I have brought it back to the dealership and they feel and see the tac going up and down. Anyone else out there having problems with theirs?? The dealership changed the oil cuz they said maybe it has the wrong weight but it didn't help??
Please email me with any suggestions.
speedracertoo@yahoo.com

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved to 3rd Gen section.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Jason D
Veteran

Yup mine did the same thing. Took it to the stealership and they said it was normal and that there was no way to turn it off. I hated it so bad that I was going to sell the truck and get something diffrent.

Then i found the forum here and did some reading and found out that The Superchips tuner has a function to turn the MDS off. But I have to warn you that before the tuner I would average about 14mpg and with the tuner its down to like 9-9.5mpg. But I didnt buy a Hemi for gas milage!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason D
Yup mine did the same thing. Took it to the stealership and they said it was normal and that there was no way to turn it off. I hated it so bad that I was going to sell the truck and get something diffrent.

Then i found the forum here and did some reading and found out that The Superchips tuner has a function to turn the MDS off. But I have to warn you that before the tuner I would average about 14mpg and with the tuner its down to like 9-9.5mpg. But I didnt buy a Hemi for gas milage!
Wow. I have the Diablosport Predator with a 91 octane tune and I got 11/12mpg city and 16/17highway before. Now I get 13/14 city and 15/16highway. I drive more city than highway. I get the same mileage now when I pull my trailer(3,500lbs) as I did before the tuner.

I bet your prob is that you are on a 93oct tune? I ran the 93 tune in my truck and got no better than 10mpg's. i would try the 91tune.

YOU MUST RETURN YOUR TRUCK BACK TO STOCK before returning to the dealer...Everytime!!! They must not know about the tuner. You cannot tell them! Especially since they have said there is no way to turn it off. BS. They have the ability to, but don't want to because of emissions crap. What a crock. The starscan has the ability to do everything the aftermarket handheld tuners and then some.
You must return your truck to stock a few days before getting an inspection if you have emissions inspections like NY does so the ecu can reset itself for that. If not, no worries. But you still ned to return it to stock even for an oil change as they may try to "update" your ecu software if they get a pop up on their screen about older version. This will delete your programming and make your tuner a useless $350 paperweight.

Last edited by Cheeech; 05-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Welcome to the club. The are only two solutions- turn mds off with a programmer, or don't drive 55-60. There is no other solution.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
taker24
Professional

I also have a 2008. Mine did the same thing, and it is doing what it is supposed to do.
I finally bought a SC tuner and turned mds off. So much better!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Jason D
Veteran

I am getting the same 9-9.5 MPG city milage on both the performance tune and the tow tune on my Cortex. I realy dont see any mpg gains on either tune. I havent tried any tune other than those 2 though.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason D
I am getting the same 9-9.5 MPG city milage on both the performance tune and the tow tune on my Cortex. I realy dont see any mpg gains on either tune. I havent tried any tune other than those 2 though.
Wow, I consistently get 2-2.5 mpgs over stock with the SC performance tune, IF I can keep my foot out of it and drive it similar to when it's stock.

Most guys with both the Superchips and the Diablo actually report better gas mileage after the tuner is installed and MDS is turned off on the 06+ trucks...

Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
08arhemi
Professional

Turn on the tow/haul mode if you don't have a tuner. I have the same 08 hemi you do and hate the MDS as well. This is a good fix until we get tuners...

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Jason D
Veteran

The only time I drove it stock was the first 1000 miles and that was all break in. Well at least as easy as I could bring myself to be on it, which wasnt easy to do! So I realy have nothing to compare to I guess. That was the only time the truck will ever be driven "nicely" or "light footed" unless someone else is driving. LOL So I realy dont know what I would get for milage if I went back to stock.

Quick Reply: Help my 2008 Dodge Ram is having problems!!