3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04-05 oil level ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 02:25 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker
Default 04-05 oil level ?

I have changed the oil in my truck twice now and the first time I filled it with the recommended 5 qts. This resulted in the dipstick reading about a 1/2 quart high, so the second time I changed it I put 4 1/2 in and it just a hair high. Anybody with an 04-05 v6 how much oil do you put in and if possible can you take a picture of your dipstick? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2009 | 11:08 PM
Redbud66
Professional

I have an 06 but I have had the same problem. I just put around 4 in, then I start it for a little bit, turn it off, and check it again and add as needed. It usually ends up taking almost all five for me.

Old 04-30-2009 | 11:18 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Well at least I'm not alone. During the 3k after my first change the level never moved from a 1/2 qt high, but we will see what it does with the RP in there. Can anyone take a pic of their dipstick from a 3.7 and post it, so I can make sure I have the right one?

Last edited by chambers; 05-01-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2009 | 10:42 AM
v1b3

Mine takes a little more than 4.5 liters. My father and I took off the base pan and no sludge. Also had the engine flushed and the grease monkey said there wasn't any sludge. Dad is an old hot rod guy and he said it's better to have a 'tad' (not a liter) less than too much oil.

Old 05-02-2009 | 12:25 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Thanks for the info. 4.5 liters=4.75 quarts so I'm not too far off, but I am kinda worried that there may be sludge in there from the previous owner. The guy was an idiot, but it only had 22k miles on it and everything looked good when I was checking it out. He had records for like 4 oil changes on him, so it's possible the oil was in there too long. How much was the engine flush?

Old 05-02-2009 | 12:51 PM
Redbud66
Professional

I doubt that there is much sludge if any. Thats only about 5k an oil change, and the manual says that you can go as far as 6k. Course that is under optimum driving conditions and he prolly used bad oil, but I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start getting oil pressure lights or the oil gets black too quick. I think I read somethin on here a while ago about amsoil making a detergent that you could run through there right before you change the oil to break up anything in there as well.

Old 05-02-2009 | 02:26 PM
v1b3

Originally Posted by chambers
Thanks for the info. 4.5 liters=4.75 quarts so I'm not too far off, but I am kinda worried that there may be sludge in there from the previous owner. The guy was an idiot, but it only had 22k miles on it and everything looked good when I was checking it out. He had records for like 4 oil changes on him, so it's possible the oil was in there too long. How much was the engine flush?
I moved back to Canada after 12 years in TN. While my house was getting built I used my dad's garage and that's when we took the base pan off.

Because of the road salt up here in the winter I got the underside 'rust checked' at a local Walmart. It was close to the time to change the oil so I got them to change it. He suggested the engine flush, $10 with oil change. I asked him to let me know if any sludge came out and he told me it looked normal.

Old 05-02-2009 | 06:04 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Thanks for the replies guys. I may do an engine flush at some point, but I think I need to flush my radiator first and change it's fluid since it is past due.

Redbud I'm hoping that the detergents they put in RP and other oils will help clean it up if it is in fact dirty or sludged up along with the pureone filter. I may shorten my interval from the 6k miles I wanted to do with RP to 4k or 5k and get a used oil analysis.

Quick Reply: 04-05 oil level ?