DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/199499-any-ideas-on-how-to-get-the-mechanical-fan-and-clutch-assembly-off.html)

berndog67 05-04-2009 06:13 PM

any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off

by chance would anyone know of any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off, i pretty much spent the better part of my last day off trying to get it off and to no avail, it is a little rusty, just surface rust though, i put a huge 16" wrench on the nut part and used everything from a pipe clamp to regular clamps to a home made steel bar that was over 1/4 inch of flat high carbon steel with two bolts threaded though the pulley to keep it from moving and was over 3 feet long and that still was not enough torque to free it, i ended up bending the steel bar which i should never have been able to, and yes i know it is reverse threaded and used plenty of penetrating lube and wd40 and whatnot, but still wont come free, is there another way or could i just take and cut it off like halfway down the nut part, i dont want to have any problems is all, just want to be able to put on the darn electric fans i have sitting in my garage for the past week!

dodge it then ram it 05-04-2009 06:34 PM

I was able to get it off with a punch when I did my body lift. But it seems like you had more power on it than I did.

nim81 05-04-2009 06:36 PM

my 2002 5.9 isnt reverse threads

Off_Road_Teacher 05-04-2009 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by berndog67 (Post 1655229)
by chance would anyone know of any ideas on how to get the mechanical fan and clutch assembly off, i pretty much spent the better part of my last day off trying to get it off and to no avail, it is a little rusty, just surface rust though, i put a huge 16" wrench on the nut part and used everything from a pipe clamp to regular clamps to a home made steel bar that was over 1/4 inch of flat high carbon steel with two bolts threaded though the pulley to keep it from moving and was over 3 feet long and that still was not enough torque to free it, i ended up bending the steel bar which i should never have been able to, and yes i know it is reverse threaded and used plenty of penetrating lube and wd40 and whatnot, but still wont come free, is there another way or could i just take and cut it off like halfway down the nut part, i dont want to have any problems is all, just want to be able to put on the darn electric fans i have sitting in my garage for the past week!

It's not reverse threaded on my truck. Sounds like you might be turning it the wrong way :eek:

ramhunter9 05-04-2009 08:08 PM

use a big ol hammer and drink some beer it will come off one wat or the other

Off_Road_Teacher 05-04-2009 08:09 PM

I was able to get my fan off with a homemade spanner wrench and a pipe wrench.

nim81 05-04-2009 08:10 PM

autozone also rents a tool for fan clutch removal.

Off_Road_Teacher 05-04-2009 08:17 PM

Personally, I think he is turning it the wrong way unless the 4.7 is threaded differently than the hemi.

MikeHTally 05-04-2009 08:22 PM

I used a spanner and a big crescent wrench. Yep, sounds like you're turning it the wrong way. From the passenger side, wrench up, pull toward you.

nim81 05-04-2009 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher (Post 1655383)
Personally, I think he is turning it the wrong way unless the 4.7 is threaded differently than the hemi.

if you have the hemi, and i have the 5.9, and they are both regular threads, i agree with you 100%.