DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Cheap CAI 4.7 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/199826-cheap-cai-4-7-a.html)

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 10:15 AM

Cheap CAI 4.7

So iv read some things and im gonna ask this question. How does the Homedepot/lowes CAI stand up to all the otehr high dollar ones. PVC looks fine with me painted just wanted to know if it's worth the time and money. with a k/n filter, And heat sheilds. Does only good that come from these?

Thanks guys.

chambers 05-07-2009 10:43 AM

Cheap mopar clone here http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...S-V218205.html or on ebay under bomz. It only costs a little more than the DIY intake and has a much nicer look.

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 10:46 AM

Did you get one of these?

bwhite757 05-07-2009 10:54 AM

I've had 3 CAI's on my truck so far. A cheap eBAy intake, the Massive RamHammer, and then/now my homebrew. I can tell a difference over stock with all of them, but without a dyno, I can't tell a difference between the 3. The only difference I've seen is difference in Intake Air Temp (Via my edge programmer). The stock box was definitely the hotest, the eBay intake was the hotest CAI, and the RamHammer and my homebrew stay within 10 degrees of ambient air temp. The eBay intake's couplers were cracked when I took it off the truck, so quality comes into play with cheap eBay intakes..

Simply put, I wouldn't pay for a high dollar intake again.... I'm sure you might see a difference on the track or dyno machine, however judging by the seat of my pants, I'm happy with the $hitter pipe...

http://bcwhite.net/images/truck/cai/cai4.jpg

Seanutz 05-07-2009 11:29 AM

I just put a HD CAI on my truck and for the first little while it gave me 1+ MPG and then I realized that it sounds soooo delicious... so im back down to 14 over all.... and like he said ^ without a dyno we cant give you any numbers, but based on my in turck computer and his tuner improvements were made.

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 11:34 AM

what size pvc did you use?

Seanutz 05-07-2009 11:45 AM

I used 3" with 2 90 degree elbows... I used a piece of rubber flex drain stuff... its black and has a band fastener on each end ( its with the other plumbing and pvc stuff) and I had to saw off on end of an elbow to fit the rubber flex stuff... Ill got take a few pics of it and post them up...

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 11:49 AM

Thanks bud, Your pics will help alot im gonna do this today. Maybe gotta price the airfilter

chambers 05-07-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Beautiful (Post 1658742)
Did you get one of these?

I got the spectre which is pretty much the same except the mounting bracket for the intake tube is on the bottom instead of the side. Mine costs 160 from airram.com and that was before I found the one I posted a link to. The only problem I know of w/ these intakes is that the mounting bracket on the side can eventually break off, but that happens even w/ the $350 mopar/aem one's. If that happens it's not too hard to rig something up to hold it and for the price they are worth taking a serious look at.

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 12:13 PM

That hose that goes into the intake, How do you get that nip on a pvc pipe

Seanutz 05-07-2009 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Youve got to cut the tip off... right past the lip where the pvc inserts into the elbow...

heres a few pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...eOmlete017.jpg
Attachment 106999
Attachment 107000

Hope this helps... all and all i spent 35 on it... thats with a cheap autozone cone filter and the pvc plus a can of krylon indoor outdoor paint... I figured if i got the high heat paint it would be wasted because the pvc would start to melt before the paint did...

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 12:24 PM

thanks man good help. Where did you put the hose that goes into the intake? How does yours sound can you tell a dif in the throtl response?

Seanutz 05-07-2009 12:28 PM

yeah i just plugged the hose with a bolt and screw band... It has a more throaty sound... It does have a little more pep, Im sure if had a throttle body and tuner id prolly have more but for now its got a pretty good response.

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 12:30 PM

Awsome dude im heading to lows now ill put some pics up later thanks again!:D

Seanutz 05-07-2009 12:31 PM

good luck man! Hope it all turns out good for you...

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 04:23 PM

CAI isssuses

Just bought all the stuff for this CAI so here it is. I have a couple problems stho now. My first gear feels like it wants to bog out went i floor it. Then after it gets over like 3 grand it runs strong. Any ideas? Oh two other things i had a qustrion was about was that hose that went to the stock box. what should i do with that ... and their was a ssenser in the hat of the intake what should i do with that?

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 04:32 PM

Here is the new Million dollar CAI and that plug that i don
t know what to do with

Seanutz 05-07-2009 04:52 PM

The sensor I didnt have but Im sure if you drill a hole into the pvc and duct tape it in it should be fine... thats what a few other guys have done... I think you still need to reset your trucks computer... just unhook the battery ground cable for atleast 5 minutes, and then drive around for a few miles like granny... that should let your pc reset the airflow sensor and all that jazz...

It looks good by the way!

WhiteRam 05-07-2009 06:39 PM

Anyone ever try some PVC from the foglight opening/oval grill to pointing up towards the CAI filetr area? I was going to attempt it but thinking it may just turbo charge any water/rain towards that are also?!

oefootball_70 05-07-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteRam (Post 1659271)
Anyone ever try some PVC from the foglight opening/oval grill to pointing up towards the CAI filetr area? I was going to attempt it but thinking it may just turbo charge any water/rain towards that are also?!

seen people use the aluminum piping for a drier. My mind is drawing a blank.

Black_Beautiful 05-07-2009 07:21 PM

So drillin and puttin that Air sensor back in that will stop the first gear bog? Just at a comeplete stop.. floor it and it bogs after 2k rpms it's fine no problems...

chambers 05-07-2009 08:02 PM

I don't know it might, that sensor is just so the computer knows the temperature of the incoming air. The pcm/ecm may just need time to adjust to the increased airflow, did you unhook the negative battery cable during the install?

Bigc9164 05-07-2009 08:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
make your own. i promise u will be way more proud of it when it is done. and it really is not that hard!!! and mine is holding up great!!!!!! and sounds amazing!!!!
Attachment 106960
Attachment 106961

Bigc9164 05-07-2009 08:28 PM

drill out the hole then wrap the sensor in electrical tape and screw the sensor in. it will stay. and i would drill a hole for the hose. it is adding power not taking away. don't plug it!

Markmm0000 05-07-2009 08:38 PM

For the hose that goes from your oil filler to stock air box get a mini spectre filter from autozone(small version of the big one you have) for 10$ and connect that right to the nipple comming off the oil filler. If the nipple is too big I used some of the rubber line from the original breather line to get it to work. As for the censor I grabbed some elelctrical gromits for sheet metal and plugged it with that. Ill take a pic of it in a minute and post it.

Black_Beautiful 05-08-2009 10:57 AM

here i mine just finished it yesterday. Got it in white pvc 3" it's half the price of the black. So did a little cuttin some sanding some painting and booooom here it is.. Havn't drove it since yesterday when i was havin whole shot bogs.. After it got going the power was great.. after i installed it i did take the ground off for about 10 min and put it back. Havn't drove it since, Have not drilled trhat hole for the air sensor yet either ..

V10Venom 05-08-2009 12:04 PM

I really think you need to get that IAT sensor back in and the hose fixed, This should take care of the bog IMO. But it looks good, I'm going to be setting mine up the same way as you did in a couple weeks.

Black_Beautiful 05-08-2009 03:00 PM

Well i just drove it around for a couple hours i do have to say i can tell a dif in my jump and the evilness of the engine. It stoped doing that bog at the start. Runs just fine now. I bet theirs more power in their if i just did a tune up never got around to it yesterday. People want to charge me 150 for just the labor. Could not puttin the hose back in cause any damage? and what about teh sensor will that cause any damage not back in?

Black_Beautiful 05-08-2009 04:02 PM

Ok just drove to the store let the truck sit their runin in the parkin lot and when i came back it was over heating. then on my way home drivin it just started to go bck down. Anyone have a clue what that is

JJn5526 05-08-2009 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You absolutly need to make a hole for that sensor, the computer needs to know how cold the air is and how much its getting, without that the computer will make wrong estimates and screw everything up.. as for the pcb rubber tube i just bought a metal peice the same size made a hole in the Pvc pipe and screwed it in there and poped the tube onto it... dont really know what the tube is for but if its on the truck and it goes in the air box it obviously needs to be on there.. so use ur imagination and get that tube in your air intake..

Attachment 106942

Attachment 106943

bwhite757 05-08-2009 06:15 PM

With some patience you can actually make a hole that will still utilize the twist lock on the sensor. I drilled a 1/2" hole, then used a rat-tail file to shape out the notches needed for the twist lock. I can easily remove/replace my sensor as needed, just like the stock resonator.

As for the oil breather, I agree with Mark up there. Go to advance and buy you an oil breather filter. Very easy to install, and works great. You can see mine in this picture, it's the red filter next to the oil fill

http://bcwhite.net/images/truck/cai/cai5.jpg

JJn5526 05-08-2009 06:25 PM

hahaha it looks like a little nubin, just this liitle tiny filter out of no where poping up.. ive never seen that before but yea that seems like alot easier of an idea...

Black_Beautiful 05-08-2009 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is what i hasve done im about to go drive it also ... I Dc the ground... and i pt those hoes and sensor in the take... heres a pic let me know what ou think

sublimedude 05-08-2009 08:07 PM

heres some stuff to ponder...would it make a difference what length it is? and what if you put the sensor closer to the filter so it can read a colder temp?...and lastly, what do you think of puttin a fan of some sort inline with the pvc?

Black_Beautiful 05-08-2009 10:58 PM

Havn't thought much about all that. Sounds like some ideas. Well i just got back from doin some drivin and i got to say everything is runing good. Sounds great. I can feel a dif. Only the driver could feel of course. Think i wanna go headers next.

Bigc9164 05-08-2009 11:26 PM

whatever the temp reads it will change the air fuel mixture...another reason cold air intakes have nothing to do with "cold air". ha. there is a reason for that sensor other than to tell you the outside temp on the dash

sublimedude 05-09-2009 07:52 AM

Think i wanna go headers next.[/quote]

yea i think the only kinda headers we can get are shortys, i dont think long tube fits under there..im ganna go with gibson.

TRXHemi 05-09-2009 08:03 AM

I did a homebrew CAI as well. I drilled a hole for the IAT and put a grommet in there. Then I put the sensor in there with no issues.

http://www.ponypartiestogo.com/image...ewcoldair3.jpg

BEAR 05-09-2009 08:06 AM

[/quote] yea i think the only kinda headers we can get are shortys, i dont think long tube fits under there..im ganna go with gibson.[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken HAMMER has long tubes on his 04 HEMI.

BEAR 05-09-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by rssjib (Post 1660939)
I did a homebrew CAI as well. I drilled a hole for the IAT and put a grommet in there. Then I put the sensor in there with no issues.

http://www.ponypartiestogo.com/image...ewcoldair3.jpg

Yeah +1 On the grommet. That would be the right way to do it. All this talk about Duct tape and glue and what not is rediculus and the grommet looks way better.