3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods/Work Done in First Year of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 PM
HemiNerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mods/Work Done in First Year of Ownership

Well, this might bore some. But just a general up-to-date post about what I have done with the truck. I bought it in April 2008. My college Nissan Sentra bit the dust 2 months before graduation, so I made due without a vehicle for a while at school.

First off, I only changed my oil once in my Nissan. Other than that I knew nothing about vehicles, but always wanted a truck my whole life. I read the DF and DT forumz so much to get aware of what was going on with my vehicle. I got Cooper Zeon LTZs installed after about dying due to the ****ty Goodyear Wrangler stock tires.

Then I worked at a friend's garage and changed my differential fluids and transfer case fluid. This saved me about 100-200 bucks. I then got a trans flush at a shop with that money saved, and new filters.

I then cleaned my throttle body. This was done around 43k miles on the truck. I am sure previous owner(s) never did it. Felt a little better after this was done and recalibrated the pedal-throttle blade, as well as reset the PCM.

Then I bought the Champion Copper Spark plugs. I installed them myself and after a pain-staking, grueling 3 hours I was satisfied. The plugs cost me $36. Compared to the $375 the shop quoted me, lets just say I was happy about that.

Then I got my Cherry Bomb Extreme 3" SI/SO muffler installed and dumped before the rear axle as seen below. This was only like $150 + $60 for the muffler and you can see how good the welds are. The guy who did it was meticulous as can be and made sure everything was perfect.

Exhaust Dumped:

Exhaust Weld:

My rotors were warped for a while, so I installed new rotors and saved myself $100 in shop fees there.

Today I got my SuperChips 3865 tuned to the economy for now to try out. I also installed my Spectre Cold Air Intake. This is a mid-grade 4" kit. I like how it all fit and came together nicely. This really made the truck 'breathe' better and help with the throttle. I also have SOO much more power in the mid-rpm ranges.

Spectre CAI 1:

Spectre CAI 2:

So, I guess this was just an update thread. As well as a thank you thread to all who helped me get my truck 'better' all around. You guys fricken rock! I saved so much money doing most of this myself as well!

More mods/work to come in the coming years...

Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

well done, welcome to the addiction. ; )

Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good post man. anytime "mod" is in the title, it cant be a boring post! thats the best thing about this site...you get to learn stuff. not only do you get the satisfaction of having a sweet lookin truck, but even more satisfaction knowing YOU did it! and savin a few bucks while learning something at the same time is always a nice bonus. trucks lookin good. keep the updates comin!

welcome to the addiction...

Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
SlimJim24
Rookie

yeah man, great job, your truck looks great
and i agree with thanking everyone for doing such a great job of teaching, i've learned a ton too from the little time i've been around this forum

keep the updates coming...

Quick Reply: Mods/Work Done in First Year of Ownership