3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lowering rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lowering my back end too. Only problem is suspension parts are harder to find for 4wd

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by bodean1989
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. For a while I've wanted to get it lifted, or at very least get a leveling kit. But I have decided that I want to go for speed instead of size. Instead of raising the front to make it level, what if I lowered the rear? Can I do this? I think it would give it more of a sleek fast look. It is white and I'm eventually going for a black and white theme (blacked out headlights, black/alloy rims, dark window tint) any other ideas for that part as well? Thanks in advance!
I was think of doing the same thing, as I don't do any off-roading. But I do haul stuff on occasion, so my question for anyone, does putting in drop shackles reduce the amount of weight you can carry in the bed? Also, I forgot this before, but when installing the shackles, is there anything else that you need to buy or anything that needs to be done? I'm just wondering since I know when you install a leveling kit for the front, you need longer shocks and have an alignment done.

Last edited by 06 Ram5.7; 05-12-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 06 Ram5.7
I was think of doing the same thing, as I don't do any off-roading. But I do haul stuff on occasion, so my question for anyone, does putting in drop shackles reduce the amount of weight you can carry in the bed? Also, I forgot this before, but when installing the shackles, is there anything else that you need to buy or anything that needs to be done? I'm just wondering since I know when you install a leveling kit for the front, you need longer shocks and have an alignment done.
It decreases the space for the frame/bed to lower so technically it wouldn't be able to hold as much weight as before. All the shackles do it allow the leaf spring to mount closer to the frame which lowers the back. It's like 4 bolts to install.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

I also have a white truck. I have the white and black theme going on. I have the black headlights, 15% tint all the way around, black taillights. Next is black rims. But im not sure if I want to low or level the truck.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

silver/black combo is better

I'm gonna be lowering my rearend soon too. 2" drop shackles are pretty cheap

Quick Reply: lowering rear