3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing ac coolant fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Pruitts Hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing ac coolant fan

I was wondering how hard it is to take the coolant fan off and if I have to disconnet the ac lines to get it off?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Pruitts Hemi

help would be nice please

Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Pruitts Hemi
I was wondering how hard it is to take the coolant fan off and if I have to disconnet the ac lines to get it off?
It looks harder than it really is.
I did this about two years ago for a failed AC fan motor.
I removed, repaired and replaced my fan motor in about 3.5 hours with breaks.

As you look at the top left of the AC rad as your facing it. Cut out a section/slot of the plastic shroud, so the top ac line can be pulled out through it.
Remove all the ac radiator bolts and shroud fittings and gently pull up and out the plastic shroud.
This will then leave you enough room to lean back the ac radiator to get to the fan.
From memory, there are three bolts to remove and you can pull off the whole fan motor and fan from the radiator.
I guess you must have a failed fan motor, causing no ac on idle or slow road speeds?
All this is quite simple to do without discharging your ac coolant or disconecting any ac lines. But you will get cut/scratched hands/arms, as you wiggle all this plastic and metal around ha ha ha.
Just take your time and be careful not to puncturs the radiator.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

Originally Posted by abarmby
It looks harder than it really is.
I did this about two years ago for a failed AC fan motor.
I removed, repaired and replaced my fan motor in about 3.5 hours with breaks.

As you look at the top left of the AC rad as your facing it. Cut out a section/slot of the plastic shroud, so the top ac line can be pulled out through it.
Remove all the ac radiator bolts and shroud fittings and gently pull up and out the plastic shroud.
This will then leave you enough room to lean back the ac radiator to get to the fan.
From memory, there are three bolts to remove and you can pull off the whole fan motor and fan from the radiator.
I guess you must have a failed fan motor, causing no ac on idle or slow road speeds?
All this is quite simple to do without discharging your ac coolant or disconecting any ac lines. But you will get cut/scratched hands/arms, as you wiggle all this plastic and metal around ha ha ha.
Just take your time and be careful not to puncturs the radiator.
Hope this helps?
Al.
where do you get a replacement for something like that?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
abarmby
Champion

I repaired mine by cleaning up the commutator and lapping in a new set of brushes.
I do believe you can get an upgraded fan/shroud and electrical pigtail which is a TSB for this issue, from ebay.com.
I havent searched this for a while, but they were on that site when I had my problem 2 years ago.
Al.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM
abarmby
Champion

Yep. Just did a search and they're still there.

DODGE RAM PICKUP NEW AC CONDENSER FAN ASSEMBLY 2003 04 $84 for the shroud fan the & whole nine yards.
Item number: 180287940794

Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Pruitts Hemi

thanks everyone.That helps alot.I can get the condensor fan from part store for $75 with the help of a coworker's mom.Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Replacing ac coolant fan