3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

45RFE tranny hunting BIG TIME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 PM
DILLIGAF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45RFE tranny hunting BIG TIME!

Just bought a new '04' 2500 ram the dealer still had on the lot. It has a Hemi with the 5 speed auto and a 3.73 rear. It was bought to tow a 2 horse trailer, which it should do. I hooked up and headed out for a test drive, before turning my wife or mother loose with this thing. when I got on the Interstate and wound it up to 67mph and kicked on the cruise, the trans started to HUNT. This thing was shifting between 3rd and 4th gear every 2sec. in tow/haul mode. the trailer only weighs 3000#, so the truck should handle it. Anybody else have this problem? I read somewhere else on these forums that there was aTSB and a tranny FLASH. AT the risk of sounding extremely stupid. Is aTSB, a service bullitain, and what is a tranny Flash? does it work? does the Dealer do this? Cost? any info would be apreciated.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:28 PM
proxhemi
Default RE: 45RFE tranny hunting BIG TIME!

hey ive really never heard of the tsb ( technical service bulletin) but if their is one.. they should do it for free ,, i worked for a polaris dealer and they were constantly gettin tsb's on their machines,, we would do them for free , because it was factory defect, one was on a polaris sportsman 500 ho and all it was , was a piched coil wire between the fuel tank and frame.. we did this rerouting for free and if it was damaged we warrantied it... but back to your hemi,, my hemi an 04 reg cab 1500 4x4 did the same thing towin around 70 mph with about 3000 lbs.. it didnt like to be set at cruise at that speed.. i just figured it was between a shift or sumthing, then again ur truck shoudl be still on warranty since u said it was brand new so they should be doing it for free.. i dont know if i helped but thats my 2cents good luck man..

DAN

Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
IS_THAT_A_HEMI
Rookie

yes there is a FLASH bulletin for Hemi. It fixes the tow/haul searching for gears. It covered by your warranty and a FREE fix, call ur service dept, they SHOULD be aware of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11020/0DBAD9E9749B4BCE9FA1B8613D08EDA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
DILLIGAF

Thanks, I found the TSB at dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-041-04.htm I am going to call the dealer and give them a chance to fix it, before I drive it through there showroom! I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: 45RFE tranny hunting BIG TIME!