3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front End Squeaking

Well, for the longest time my front end has been squeaking when going over bumps, or abruptly stopping. I thought for sure it was my ball joints. I was all set to order all new ball joints, end links, and all other pertinent front end bushings to get it to stop. So on my final attempt to figure out what was squeaking before i started ordering, I found it! It wasnt any of the bushings, or joints, or anything. It turned out to just be my coil spring rubbing against a part of the bottom cup it sits in.

So tomorrow, after fishing (thats right, going fishing on a Wednesday!) Im gonna either spin the coil spring so it doesnt rub, or put something in between it and the cup. Ill let you all know how it goes.

So, for those of you with squeaky front ends.. before you replace parts, have your wife get under the truck and hold onto stuff while you jump on the bumper. you might find out your springs are the culprit.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
So, for those of you with squeaky front ends.. before you replace parts, have your wife get under the truck and hold onto stuff while you jump on the bumper. you might find out your springs are the culprit.
LMAO!! thats a good one John!! Put you wife under the truck......

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

nice info dirtyjohn

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
eagle1221
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Im having that exact problem. It would be nice if I dont have to spend money to take care of it.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i found out that the spring was rubbing on the lower arm because it isnt sitting in the top cup correctly. but now i do need a new ball joint cuz i ripped it trying to get it separated from the spindle. im off to autozone to get a pitman arm puller.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
rnmten
Talking squeaky noise gone....

My hubby did suspension work on our Dodge Durango and annoying squeaky noise came after job was done....turned out coil springs were not seated correctly...there are two drain holes in the spring seat in the lower control arm.... only after the coil was repositioned for the lower end to cover the first hole and cover about half of the second hole, was the noise gone....we're so happy now....

Old 01-31-2010, 02:25 AM
Albertaramfan
Captain

I'm fairly certain that isn't eagles problem as he is an 05 and doesn't have coils being a 1500... I had the same issue and it turned out it was the adjusters for my hood. Turned them up about 3 turns and the noise is gone.

Might be worth trying before he spends any money

Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

got a buddy with an '06 4x2 had the same problem, dealer quoted him $1100 to get rid of it. We ended up spraying the sh*t out of the coils with WD40 at the top and bottom and they shut right up. About a year and a half and 20k miles later, still quiet and his most recent trip to the SAME dealer for an oil change and tire rotation and the dealer said the same front end they diagnosed with an $1100 problem then was FINE now on their 24 point inspection.

I HATE STEALERSHIPS!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Dawizman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Albertaramfan
I'm fairly certain that isn't eagles problem as he is an 05 and doesn't have coils being a 1500... I had the same issue and it turned out it was the adjusters for my hood. Turned them up about 3 turns and the noise is gone.

Might be worth trying before he spends any money
He's a 2500 though which does have coils.

I would definitely take a look at the coils. I had the same squeaking noise at it was solved by spraying the coils with some WD-40.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

Hmm maybe I misread it. Eagles info shows he's an 05 1500 qc hemi...

Quick Reply: Front End Squeaking