3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How necessary are Skid Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 PM
justint420
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How necessary are Skid Plates?

If this sounds like a dumb question, I'm sorry. I just wanna know how necessary are Skid Plates? I don't have them right now but I plan on playing in mud occasionally. Would skid plates actually make a difference in the realiability of my Ram? Thanx

Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: How necessary are Skid Plates?

If you are around a lot of hidden stumps or boulders they are a good idea. If just mud, probably not. They will protect the tranny/front suspension/rear from sudden impact type of damage as they take the pounding and slide over it. Sliders might also be a good idea in rocky areas (think Moab).

Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Danko

I owned a Plymouth TrailDuster with a 440 and it was the only 4 wheel drive I have ever had and I have never been stuck so much. I made the mistake of putting fat tires on it and even though they were also tall, they were terrible in snow. Once, I got stuck in the middle of Boyne City where a snow drift had blown across the street. It was not that tall, but I drove onto it and my weight was supported by the skidplates and I could go nowhere. I am thinking there is a chance mud could act the same way and support your vehicle in such a way as to keep you from getting traction but I have zero experience driving in deep mud, thankfully. Good Luck!!! If you drive in mud with skidplates remember to wash the mud out and LUBE THOSE SPLINES!!!!!

Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I found my skid plates very handy. This pic says it all. I was more than happy to replace the plate, rather than...who knows what.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/771191C808604FD58C2F0FB38D46F2DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2005, 02:37 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: justint420

If this sounds like a dumb question, I'm sorry. I just wanna know how necessary are Skid Plates? I don't have them right now but I plan on playing in mud occasionally. Would skid plates actually make a difference in the realiability of my Ram? Thanx

not a dumb question, i was wondering the same thing

Old 03-15-2005, 09:47 AM
mill500
Veteran

It depends on what you're going to be driving on off road. Like osteo says, if you are going to be in a lot of stumps or rocks, you definately want them. What happens is that your front axle can climb over one rock and another be under your engine/trans area when you come down and it's not good. It can do anything from poking a hole in your oil pan to bending your linkage...none of it any fun. However, if all you are going to do is mud and dirt, they probably hurt more than help as the mud and dirt can get packed up in them and if not cleaned out, work to overheat the engine/trans. If you put them on and do a lot of mud, check them afterward every time and pressure wash the upper sides of them clean if you need to.

I have to say I haven't done alot of offroading in my Ram...I kept my Wrangler when I bought the Ram, and there's probably not a better offroad vehicle than the Wrangler, so I'm a little spoiled that way. I've got the quad cab and compared to the Wrangler, it just feels like a bull in a china shop off road. Thats probably not a critisism, just an observation (and probably not a very fair one at that).

Old 03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Also, check to see how high the vent hoses are for the tranny and the rear. You don't want to go over this depth becasue water/mud can get in there and ruin the components. I have known of people that put snorkels on and go through deep water and the tranny/rear injests the water and it foams up badly. On the way home they fry the tranny.

Quick Reply: How necessary are Skid Plates?