3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Noise Under Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Decion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Noise Under Braking

Hi,

I have a '04 1500 quad cab 4x4. I replaced the brakes this past November. Recently I have noticed a noise that occurs under certain situations during braking coming from, I think, the driver side front. It only seems to occur in close proximity to a time that I have backed the truck up. It also seems to make a similar noise when backing up and braking. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem? Could it be a slip in the brake pads that set after the first hard stop forward or backward? The sound is a metal on metal type of sound as opposed to a squeak. Any help appreciated.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Alpheus
Banned

You gotta rip it apart and look for worn or damaged parts. If you know the noise is coming from the front when you hit the brakes. You basically narrowed it down yourself. It could be anything...

Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
sos
All Star

I agree, you're going to have to take things apart and check them out. You should notice shiny spots wherever you have metal on metal movement. I think some of the more obvious spots would be the pad to caliper or movement in the caliper itself. The fact that you get it after changing direction sounds to me like you are on the right trail. Did you put any anti-squeal shims in there? They go between the caliper and the pad and prevent any movement between the two from causing squealing.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Decion

I did not put any new shims in, just the clips that came stock. I did add the anti-squeak lubricant that you put on with brakes. My thought is that the new pads are a touch smaller than they should be and it slips forward and back with the direction change. My ulterior motive for posting was to see if there was another reason that is common to the truck. Looks more like it is a unique problem to my vehicle. After my initial inspection I did not notice any problems. Like I said, it will happen at the end of my street when I leave home and I can drive all day, start/stop, as long as I do not back up the sound will not happen again. Unfortunately I do not think I can replicate the force of braking the vehicle on the jack stand to find the problem. I am getting new tires and alignment soon, I think i'll see if the garage sees any problems.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Alpheus
Banned

I would get it fixed ASAP. Brake malfunctions are nothing to put off until later. You don't want anything bad to happen to you or a family member because you put off a known problem. Excessive wear, heat and brakes is a bad combination. Safety first...

Quick Reply: Front End Noise Under Braking