DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   03 TMR delete mod. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/202326-03-tmr-delete-mod.html)

abarmby 05-29-2009 04:51 AM

03 TMR delete mod.

Just finally did this today.
All I can say is YEEEHAAAAAA!!!
Wish I'd done it sooner.
Definately a push back into the seat on the WOT 1/2 shifts.
Al.

HammerZ71 05-29-2009 05:14 AM

Been reading for years about how great it is. Damn lucky '03 owners!!!:eek:

Off_Road_Teacher 05-29-2009 07:37 AM

I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about this mod. I can only imagine what it feels like to drive the truck after doing it.

xfeejayx 05-29-2009 07:45 AM

damn free mod does what I want my $300 SC to do (and can't). u have to rub it in abarmby?

Alpheus 05-29-2009 07:47 AM

Shhhh. Thats supposed to be our little secret. If you let this get out you will have the 04+ guys jumpin off of bridges

HammerZ71 05-29-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by xfeejayx (Post 1683325)
damn free mod does what I want my $300 SC to do (and can't). u have to rub it in abarmby?

Actually, it does MORE than your $300 SC does when it comes to TM. The mod completely gets rid of it!!!

abarmby 05-29-2009 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by xfeejayx (Post 1683325)

Heh heh heh............It's great isn't it lol.
But seriously, it does make a big difference on the 1/2 shift.
However, all you 04 and above guys, have better tuning alternatives than us 03's sigh.....
Al.

MontanaRAM 05-29-2009 08:43 AM

what mod is this? i've never heard of it. :confused:

and i have an '03, so i want to do it if it's free :D

Alpheus 05-29-2009 09:32 AM

OK,OK I will tell you the secret. (its not really a secret though). Dodge trucks up to 03 can do this including Dakota,Durango and Ram with 4.7,5.9 and 5.7

Here is a pic for the 03 Hemi:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...dto1123new.jpg

Take off the 1B cover and you will see the Yellow and green wire going into the plug. With a small scket set lossen the bolt in the center and pull the plug away from the Computer. Locate the correct side where the Yellow and green stripe wire is and then Pry the RED retainer out and using a ***elers flathead screwdriver and push the wire out the backshell and pull the wire completely out.

position the wire out of the way and reinstall the red retainer and plug...

John M 05-29-2009 12:19 PM

Bwa ha ha - the board censors j e w l e r because of its first 3 letters!

Anyway, I never did this on my 03, having bought a SC tuner instead. Would I gain even more by totally doing away with TM?

FireRescue J-16 05-29-2009 12:29 PM

Ok i aint tryin to be stupid or nothin but um... what exactly does this mod do?
like what does the yellow and green wire control in the computer?

MontanaRAM 05-29-2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by FireRescue J-16 (Post 1683567)
Ok i aint tryin to be stupid or nothin but um... what exactly does this mod do?
like what does the yellow and green wire control in the computer?

yeah, that's what i'm wondering too, and does it ever cause any problems? if not then i've got my tools in my hand...

also, where the heck am i supposed to look in the engine bay for this? looks like the fuse box?

Ramdamit98 05-29-2009 01:05 PM

Our dodges have a Torque Management system, the PCM dials back the engines's power/torque between shifts to reduce wear and tear on the tranny. I believe I read the wire is for the PCM and TCM to communicate, so removing the wire the call between the two for torque management and thus eliminates the Torque Managament and sends all the power/torque to your drivetrain all the time.

I guess the downside is more possible wear and tear on the tranny. That being said, if I had a '03 I would try it.

Actually my brother wants me to do the mod to his Durago the next time I visit him.

jonnymagnum 05-29-2009 01:29 PM

I wish I had an 03 so I could do that. but how much more wear and tear would it put on the tranny?

xfeejayx 05-29-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 1683345)
Actually, it does MORE than your $300 SC does when it comes to TM. The mod completely gets rid of it!!!

I know, that's why i said its what I WANT my SC to do (but my SC can't)

and to answer the question of wear and tear, it does as much damage as you want it to. If you don't abuse your truck, it'll be fine. if you pound on it all day every day, i'm sure you could blow the trans in a month. plenty of people have done this without any increase in noticeable wear on the trans. I have reduced TM because of the flashpaq, and I wouldn't beat on the truck all day.

Cheeech 05-29-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum (Post 1683628)
I wish I had an 03 so I could do that. but how much more wear and tear would it put on the tranny?

Asking this ? is the same as asking how long your truck will last????
Depends on how you drive, maintenance, towing...etc...

I would imagine it is like driving an older vehicle when there was no Tq management. Those tranny's lasted 100kmi and most owners never did flushes back then nor did sooner intervals like is required or "suggested" rather for todays vehicles. With the exception of Ford. For some reason they think you can go 100kmi without ever changing any fluids except the engine oil. pffft. yeah right. Imagine running your original rear differential fluid for 100kmi?????? NOT!

xfeejayx 05-29-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeech (Post 1683679)
Asking this ? is the same as asking how long your truck will last????
Depends on how you drive, maintenance, towing...etc...

I would imagine it is like driving an older vehicle when there was no Tq management. Those tranny's lasted 100kmi and most owners never did flus....

those engines didn't have 375 ft.lbs of torque either...

MontanaRAM 05-29-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ramdamit98 (Post 1683604)
eliminates the Torque Managament and thus sending all the power/torque to your drivetrain all the time.

you just convinced me to do it.

anyone know where i can get a new tranny cheap? i'll be blowing this one before too long i suspect :D

Cheeech 05-29-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by xfeejayx (Post 1683703)
those engines didn't have 375 ft.lbs of torque either...

There are lots of stock vehicles out there these days with superchargers on them. Their trans. hold up very well. Way more tq. than 375.

mbaseball3 05-29-2009 04:41 PM

I'm curious on how your truck reacted when you started it up after pulling the wire? I did it 2 months ago. scared the crap outta myself when it didn't start. mechanical stuff is fixable. computer problems!? I'm screwed! so I installed it back. finally got my truck running again. but was wondering if that's common after the removal of it?

V10Venom 05-29-2009 04:56 PM

sounds like you may have taken out the wrong wire.

mbaseball3 05-29-2009 05:01 PM

hmm lol k guess ill have to try it again

mbaseball3 05-29-2009 05:12 PM

ok there's 2 yellow with green stripe...the one with a light green stripe or dark green? I have one by the number 10 on the plug and the other is by the 20

abarmby 05-29-2009 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mbaseball3 (Post 1683841)
ok there's 2 yellow with green stripe...the one with a light green stripe or dark green? I have one by the number 10 on the plug and the other is by the 20

Use the no#10 wire mbaseball3. It's the yellow wire closest to the screw boss that tightens the plug to the module.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/u...led20wire1.jpg
You must have pulled the incorrect wire the first time.
I didn't have ANY problems at start up.
I also did a full "cold reset" of the PCM after this, so the computer had to relearn stuff.
I drove the snot out of it and the shifts are awesome!
As for wear and tear, I look at it this way.
If the transmission slowly slides it's way into gear like our stock transmissions do, that must cause more heat build up in the transmission.
Plus the bands must get more wear due to the increased slipping and wearing away of the bands.
Otherwise how do transmission kits sell themselves?
All these kit manufacturers say slow soft shifts wear the transmissions and that heat is THE #1 killer of transmissions.
Just my 2cents.
For an earlier poster the module in question, is behind the air box on a Hemi on the passenger side inner wing/fender.

Al.

FireRescue J-16 05-29-2009 06:28 PM

Is there any possible way something like this could be done on a 05 4.7?

MontanaRAM 05-29-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by abarmby (Post 1683871)
Use the no#10 wire mbaseball3. It's the yellow wire closest to the screw boss that tightens the plug to the module.
I also did a full "cold reset" of the PCM after this, so the computer had to relearn stuff.
If the transmission slowly slides it's way into gear like our stock transmissions do, that must cause more heat build up in the transmission.
Plus the bands must get more wear due to the increased slipping and wearing away of the bands.
All these kit manufacturers say slow soft shifts wear the transmissions and that heat is THE #1 killer of transmissions.
Just my 2cents.
For an earlier poster the module in question, is behind the air box on a Hemi on the passenger side inner wing/fender.

Al.

i can't find this wire at all, i don't see any green line on any of the yellow wires. i think mine may be different because i have the 4.7.

mbaseball3 05-29-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by abarmby (Post 1683871)
Just my 2cents.

Al.

thanks abarmby!!!
ya know someone didnt do something right on my wiring. i did buy my 03 in 04 from a private seller. truck was reconditioned from 'salvaged' status. the wrong wire i pulled the first time was actually the right wire you told me and what i read awhile back when i did it. i pulled the other yellow w/ green stripe wire by the 20 mark today and start up was fine. test drive proves it was that wire. "mechanics" these days

Sloooow 05-29-2009 08:52 PM

thanks abarmby!!!!!
Iv been wanting to do some mods on my truck since i got it but money was to tight. I sure could afford FREE!!!

Alpheus 05-29-2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by FireRescue J-16 (Post 1683897)
Is there any possible way something like this could be done on a 05 4.7?

Nope...

FireRescue J-16 05-29-2009 10:45 PM

Well dang so much for that idea...

abarmby 05-30-2009 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sloooow (Post 1684016)
thanks abarmby!!!!!
Iv been wanting to do some mods on my truck since i got it but money was to tight. I sure could afford FREE!!!

Let us all know what you feel with this fre mod guys please.
Remember, make sure your in O/D off to make sure that when your WOT you don't hit 2nd prime.
Al.

Lifted4x4Astro 05-30-2009 03:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Did this mod to mine shortly after getting the truck in 2007. I have quite a few miles towing and snow plowing and have had no ill effects. The removal of this wire definitely woke the truck up as far as how fast it shifts into 2nd.

Location of TCM...

Attachment 105935

Attachment 105936

Remove center bolt and pull plug out.

Attachment 105937

Remove the red pin holder.

Attachment 105938

Pull wire from pin #10 and tape off the end. Put it all back together and test drive! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/DCP_7162.jpg

MontanaRAM 05-30-2009 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Lifted4x4Astro;1684404]Did this mod to mine shortly after getting the truck in 2007. I have quite a few miles towing and snow plowing and have had no ill effects. The removal of this wire definitely woke the truck up as far as how fast it shifts into 2nd.

Location of TCM...

Attachment 105934

Pull wire from pin #10 and tape off the end. Put it all back together and test drive! :D

how can you tell which pin it is? are there numbers on the plastic piece or are you counting down it?

Off_Road_Teacher 05-30-2009 11:17 AM

Every time I read about this mod I wish I could do it on my truck. Free mods that have results like this are great. You guys are lucky.

abarmby 05-30-2009 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=MontanaRAM;1684571]

Originally Posted by Lifted4x4Astro (Post 1684404)
Did this mod to mine shortly after getting the truck in 2007. I have quite a few miles towing and snow plowing and have had no ill effects. The removal of this wire definitely woke the truck up as far as how fast it shifts into 2nd.

Location of TCM...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d/DCP_7161.jpg

how can you tell which pin it is? are there numbers on the plastic piece or are you counting down it?

Just pull the Yellow wire closest to the bolt in the center of the plug.
There are several Yellow wires near that location, but it's that one mentioned above you want.
That's the one to pull.

Attachment 105933

I couldn't see any numbers on my plug. But hey.......I'm 51 and didn't have my "eagle eye" specs on LOL.

Al.

Sloooow 05-30-2009 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1684571

If you look at the side the wires are going into the plug you will see the numbers.

Iv only drove 5 or so miles since I did this but I can feel it shift much faster now.

I recommend this to anyone that has a 03 and if by some crazy reason you don't like this mod it would only take a couple minute to put the wire back in the harness.

John M 05-30-2009 11:57 AM

But again -- does pulling the wire make a difference if you're already running a Superchips programmer?

AF_HEMI 05-30-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by John M (Post 1684615)
But again -- does pulling the wire make a difference if you're already running a Superchips programmer?

pullin the wire will make the exact same difference with/without the superchips because the superchips doesnt do anything with torque management. So yes, it'll still make a big difference.

bigpappaholt 05-30-2009 04:13 PM

this works for 2002 5.9L correct? if so im going to do this tonight.

Alpheus 05-30-2009 06:30 PM

pull it...