3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Know anything about fixing power seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM
RSTEPHENS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello ram owners,

i own a 2003 quad cab ram 2500. My seat gear was stipped out just like so many of you are claiming that your are. There are no parts to buy to fix this without buying the whole seat track assembly. You may get lucky and find one in a junk yard, but you may be just a few adjustments from stripping that gear as well. So here is the deal. I am a machinist and i made new gears for my truck, got them installed and they work just like new. The new gears i made are made out of metal so they will not break teeth off like the plastic ones. If any one would be interested in buying some from me to fix their seat. Please send me a message. Thanks rob.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
RSTEPHENS
Default Metal Gears to replace the plastic ones that are breaking.

This is what I'm doing. I made some new metal gears for mine and it works like a new one. For one heck of a smaller amount than buying a new assembly. Or taking a chance on a junk yard part. If anyone has any interest let me know. Thanks Rob.

Attached Thumbnails Know anything about fixing power seat?-100_1250.jpg   Know anything about fixing power seat?-100_1251.jpg  
Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
RSTEPHENS

If any one would be interested in the metal gears the cost would be $120 a pair. not counting shipping.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
catadjuster
Default I have a seat.motor

I have a motor for the front elevation for drivers seat for 02-08 Ram. I bought it on Ebay and then traded the truck before I replaced the bad one. I am wanting to get my money back on it. $91 and change plus shipping.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by Bulverde Bill
A guy on ebay sells the individual motors. They are brand new and starting bid is $74. He starts with 1 bid but it is his own. Mine just arrived, and it looks great. The gear case broke on mine but the gears are still good.
Unfortunately, my rear vertical motor is not working now. I have attached a picture in a PDF file of the motor with the broken gear.

Fortunately, we have this forum.

If anyone in this thread still has the gears and you don't need them, I could use the shaft gear.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
BR

Attached Files
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Just fyi...
In some of the other threads for these broken motors/gears there were some stale links to ebay auctions for the motors.

The seller I saw that had these motors for sale is, "twomenonegarage".

If you look up this seller instead of clicking an old, stale link you should be able to find the motors.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by broncoremy
Just fyi...

The seller I saw that had these motors for sale is, "twomenonegarage".
Bought the rear up down motor from these guys on ebay. Installed today and it works.The guy selling these motors on ebay must be on this forum or DT. When the motor came there were instructions in with the motor. The pictures that were in the instruction sheets looked very familiar. It appears they came from the DIY listed here on DT

http://tinyurl.com/76eomy6

and referenced here

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2612392-post18.html

In the DIY it looks like they took a front motor out and put a rear motor in its place. The guy selling these on ebay says:

The factory front up down motor has a metal casing and a white end cap. The shaft is shorter than the rear up down motor, so please verify the motor you need.
The electrical connector looks the same on both motors. The way the 2 motors mount into the adjuster frame also looks the same. If you need a motor, it appears possible that either motor will work in either slot just with a shaft that is different length. YMMV

Anyway, I'm happy; mine works now.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 AM
big blueberry

Just bought a 98 ram 1500. Power seat worked intermittantely. It would move forward, up, down, but than just stop. I would get out the seat, and sometimes it would start working. I took the side panel off to access the button assembly, than followed the wire harness to where it travels between the metal frame and the bottome portion of the seat and I found a pinch point with the wire harness and metal frame. It had severed 2 wires in the harness(one being the +12V supply to the switch assembly). I resoldered the two cut wires, wrapped, and put split loom tubing near the pinch point. Power seat have worked perfect now.

Last edited by big blueberry; 07-18-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: MisSpelling
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by big blueberry
Just bought a 98 ram 1500. Power seat worked intermittantely. It would move forward, up, down, but than just stop. I would get out the seat, and sometimes it would start working. I took the side panel off to access the button assembly, than followed the wire harness to where it travels between the metal frame and the bottome portion of the seat and I found a pinch point with the wire harness and metal frame. It had severed 2 wires in the harness(one being the +12V supply to the switch assembly). I resoldered the two cut wires, wrapped, and put split loom tubing near the pinch point. Power seat have worked perfect now.
Wow, you went deep into search to find this old thread of mine, didn't you? First off, if you own a 98, you are in the wrong forum. Secondly, my issue isn't a wiring problem - the switch activates just fine and the motor just buzzes. I'm sure I have a stripped gear but, since my seat is already where I want it, I just gave up on the effort and expense to fix this problem. Glad you got yours fixed though.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM
bleu50

2men1garage.com

They sent me a part that worked perfectly for 50 bucks. THe plastic gear stripped out.I rebuilt it in 30 minutes and it works great!

Quick Reply: Know anything about fixing power seat?