3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrome Intakes CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
GABDFAN1964
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Intakes CAI Question

I am ready to get the intake since it was the source of my strange noise that I had posted about. It seems like the Chrome Intakes CAI is the choice for most people on the forum. Here is my question: Are there any modifications that need to be made so it works properly? I know there are two things that need to be hooked into the intake. Are the mounts for them already on the intake or do you need to drill holes to make them work? Thanks

Last edited by GABDFAN1964; 06-01-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
MarkMark6464
Professional

I have been told its very easy and there is no drilling holes.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 AM
SlimJim24
Rookie

That is correct, no drilling at all

i put mine in like a week ago, it was very easy, just need to get something to keep it from rubbing up on my AC line, any ideas guys?

i believe derricksmash also has a 2006 ram and he has some pics of his engine where you can see how it should look in your exact year... i noticed mine looks a little different cause it's an 08

here's the thread
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/v6-spec...m-cleaned.html

and when i say it's very easy, i mean it... i had absolutely no experience with engines and i did it myself.
the hose on mine looks different than derrick's, but i think everyone does that part a little different, as long as you have it connected and snug on both sides you're good

Last edited by SlimJim24; 06-02-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: link
Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i've heard different stories. some people just get pipes, and need to drill their own holes...and bung them...and some people that just go ahead and have it as a bolt on.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

Its easy, bolts right in with no problem. Looks even better if you take out the air box tray. It has a few bolts holding it above the wheel well cover, so if you take that out you can get to the bolts. Then just fill in the holes with plugs

Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Hotrod Ray

pay a little extra like i did and get the AEM brutforce for the 4.7 like i have on my 2006 3.7. no drilling everything lines perfect no need to to extend the IAT wires. perfect fit.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
mudkicker78
Professional
Default Chromeintakes, Not that great, but workable

Along the way I found Chrome Intakes but Im not happy with the whole universal pipes they use. I wont knock the actual pipe, but the layout left much to be desired. The crankcase breather is on the wrong end of the tube and to the wrong side. The second problem I ran into was when I took out the Factory Airbox the 2 bolts for the bracket under it that secure to the fender. Much easier to leave it alone. Because I left that bracket in I found myself at AutoZone mixing intake pieces with Spectre. I purchased 2 new hose as the ones supplied were not very nice looking, bought a 60* elbow and a new filter. I am pleased with how it looks and did-not realise how loud it would be. I think it definatly got at least 8-10 pony's out of the deal and it doesnt bog down on hills. I think the biggest problem with the kit is know matter who's truck youll end up going to the store to buy something to adapt the breather to the main intake pipe, and some clamps to ensure they stay together. I have a Flowmaster single in dual outlet setup im putting on this weekend wich I am hoping is good for 5 more HP and a Jet Chip wich promices about 17-20 horses on top of that. I drive 75 miles a day to and from work so Im hoping to get 1MPG around town and about 2.5MPG Highway. This is a V6 but its a commuter truck so any other fuel saving ideas are welcome. I will be getting Bosh triple Platinum plugs as well. Don't recomend Bosh Platinum 4's, but thats my preferance.

Quick Reply: Chrome Intakes CAI Question