3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Powdercoating rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about powder coating mine until I can afford the ones I want. But I think I might just go ahead and spray paint them. Not sure how they will hold up being that plastic chrome crap

Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dedogg
I have been thinking about powder coating mine until I can afford the ones I want. But I think I might just go ahead and spray paint them. Not sure how they will hold up being that plastic chrome crap
You can't powder coat the chrome clads anyway. You have to use the bare aluminum wheels.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
gmb4fords
Veteran

well if its abou 100 a rim then i am moe than likely going to oder some rims. you can get a set around 700 now but if its half that rice then it would be worth doing. you figure 400 for the pwder coating then 40 for removal and 40 for mount n balance. im leaning towards spending the extra 300 and having different wheels. still undecidd and sorry for all the typos, the batteries are dying in my wirless keyboard

Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by nim81
haven't done it myself but around my area its about $100 per rim.

ive also heard of do-it-at-home powder coat kits where you can just bake the parts in your oven.
You can use a home oven to cure powder coat, but it needs to be an oven that you no longer use for cooking.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
I had a shop around me that wanted $45/rim. but it was over an hour away. so I just painted mine and they are holding up great!
Paint holds up really well if you prep and paint it right. I painted mine back in the beginning of October and they held up through the whole winter without any scratches at all. And the best part of painting the rims is that if you ever do damage one, you can always just repaint it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

teach you did a DIY for your rims didnt you. Never sanded and painted plastic before just dont want them to be f'd up.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by dedogg
teach you did a DIY for your rims didnt you. Never sanded and painted plastic before just dont want them to be f'd up.
Sure did, it should be in the DIY section.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

ur the man, i think I will try it.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Just make sure you realize that mine were the brushed aluminum finish rims that I started with, not the chrome like you have. So you might have to be a little more thorough with your prep but the paint should still stick no problem if you do good prep work.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
gmb4fords
Veteran

thanks to everyone. i called a guy today and he is going to charge me 50 a wheel. so this weekend i am going to take them off and get the tires off and drop them off to him monday. im going to have to put up a picture of my truck so yall can see the progress. i started with a stock 02 and dont have anything but a toolbox and home made intake right now.so ill try to figure out this pic thing. thanks to everyone for the tips and help. ill post pics when its done. but its going to be like two weeks due to my work schedule and trying to get to the tire shop while its open

Quick Reply: Powdercoating rims?