3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine noises and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
stereoking15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noises and oil consumption

so, since i have owned the truck (may 12th) i have put 2k on it and 2 quarts of oil!! the reason why i even looked under the hood of my new freaking truck is that i started having a loud tick/ light knocking noise upon startup then wait 5-10 secs then stops and is ok. oil pressure reads just over the half mark (solid black line in middle of gausge). i think that 2 quarts is excessive for a new vehicle, if it was a voklswagen or a turbo vehicle ok maybe but 2 quarts in 2k miles to me is excessive and a concerning look on my face when i hear knocking!! there is a slight power loss it feels like, anything other then a perfectly flat/level road surface the truck wants to kick a gear down constantly, any incline over 1 to 2 percent it cant handle and jumps a gear down. my truck is a 2008 ram 1500 standard cab with a 3.7v6 and the 4 speed slush box, the only "mod" i have done is a drop in k&n. so i'm thinking wtf!! anyone else have any similar issues?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by stereoking15
so, since i have owned the truck (may 12th) i have put 2k on it and 2 quarts of oil!! the reason why i even looked under the hood of my new freaking truck is that i started having a loud tick/ light knocking noise upon startup then wait 5-10 secs then stops and is ok. oil pressure reads just over the half mark (solid black line in middle of gausge). i think that 2 quarts is excessive for a new vehicle, if it was a voklswagen or a turbo vehicle ok maybe but 2 quarts in 2k miles to me is excessive and a concerning look on my face when i hear knocking!! there is a slight power loss it feels like, anything other then a perfectly flat/level road surface the truck wants to kick a gear down constantly, any incline over 1 to 2 percent it cant handle and jumps a gear down. my truck is a 2008 ram 1500 standard cab with a 3.7v6 and the 4 speed slush box, the only "mod" i have done is a drop in k&n. so i'm thinking wtf!! anyone else have any similar issues?
The engine is new so let the rings seat a little better by putting some more miles on her...keep an eye on the oil consumption as you go. What weight oil are you using?

The kickdown issue is more than likely because your truck is under powered in a 4800lbs brick. If you're giving it more throttle to maintain speed on these inclines it'll downshift.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
stereoking15

i am using 5w-20 valvoline and will pretty much use nothing else, this thing should not weigh more then 3k-3.5k lbs at most!! at 4.8k this thing would be horrible and utterly useless as a truck, maybe a v8 4 door might weigh that much

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by stereoking15
i am using 5w-20 valvoline and will pretty much use nothing else, this thing should not weigh more then 3k-3.5k lbs at most!! at 4.8k this thing would be horrible and utterly useless as a truck, maybe a v8 4 door might weigh that much
ahhhahha....a toyota isn't even that light dude. With the 6'er you're probably around 4600 curb...my curb is around 4850. Dodges are heavy...quad cabs are 5200-5300 depending on configuration and options.

Quick Reply: engine noises and oil consumption