3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Hella 500 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Hella 500 question

Im gonna do the Hella 500's this weekend behind the grill and had a question.Ive searched and havent really found what im looking for.

I was wondering how everyone is tapping into power for them.Right to the battery i know is the easiest but is it ok to tap into say the marker lights or high beams?I was thinking i would go into the marker lights to the switch so i could have them on with any light combo,low beam, high beam or running lights.Is this doable or will it mess with the electronics of the truck?I have read its easy to screw things up electrically on these Rams so i dont want to do that if at all possible.But tapping power this way i think would be good so the chime would remind me if i forget to shut them off.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Tazman40; 06-13-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can tap into them for the on/off source but not pull power from them. youll have to pull power from the battery no matter what.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tap into your marker lights as the on/off source if you like, that is where I have mine tapped into. You can do pretty much anything you want as the trigger, for instance I tapped into the marker lights so they are powered up whenever I have lights on and I also tapped into the alarm wiring so they will flash when I hit the alarm, look below.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I put a set behind the grill on Pyro's truck last weekend, he didn't want to mess with drilling a hole in his dash for the switch, so I just wired them to his existing fog lights, the hot wire to the switched post on the relay and negative to ground.

Quick Reply: Another Hella 500 question