3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What else should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
texjosh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else should I consider?

Hello again everyone. I want to thank you all for the good information on my last thread (Should I buy a 4.7L Ram?). That was very informative and I'm hoping for more good input now.

Again, let me explain the use of my truck. It is going to be a sort of "corporate image vehicle." It will be used daily when I go to job sites and on deliveries. I own a sign company that specialize in large format branding. For example, I'll go out to "rig-up" yards and install huge logos across oil rigs. I'm in Houston, TX for those wondering. Having a cool truck goes a long way when it come to being remembered by the customer. I do tow a manlift around a couple times a month as well and typically carry around 800lbs in the bed of my current truck.

So, what that translates to, is that I need a truck that can get the job done, be eye catching and memorable, isn't too over the top or unprofessional, is reliable, and is within my budget.

Here's what I've decided:

02-05 1500 QC (Not that I have anything against the newer ones, but I'm on a budget)
Must be a V8 (I think the 4.7 or the Hemi will be fine. 4.7 is likely because of budget)
Blue, black, grey, or white (My logo won't look good on red, orange, green.)
Automatic
2WD (No need for 4WD. My 97 5.2L Ram never gets stuck.Neither should a newer one right?)

So that's the basic truck. Looking for less than 75k miles and less than $12k.

Now for the mods. No one will remember a bone stock truck right? I've only decided on a few things for sure and I want opinions and suggestions.

Hella 500's behind the grill. (I love the look and its a great "bang for your buck" mod)
Debadge the doors and fenders.
Add vinyl graphics advertising my business tastefully.
E-cutout (For the situations when you want people to turn and look haha.)
Some sort of performance intake
Nice tint

This is still a pretty normal truck (at least around here) at this point but I think the graphics will really help. I will probably run duals out the back with the "closest to stock" set up as possible becuase I love the duals look but want a quiet option when I need it. Are there any other "budget" mods I should consider right away? The next batch of mods will come as the money does...

17" or 18" wheels with 33's (These will fit without modification right?)
Small lift, maybe 3-5" (Just for the stance.)
Recon Cab lights (Make it "look bigger" haha.)

What else should I consider? What gets attention but is still tasteful? Anyone have pics of a similar truck?

Love the forum guys. Thanks for your help. I will post a ton of pics as this happens.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
texjosh

Also, I just wanted to note. I'm not new to the modding scene at all but I am new to the truck side of it.

I built a Saturn SC2 that could handle with anything and beat the majority of popular imports at the time. Nothing serious but that car was a blast. I also placed in a few shows and won a catagory once.

Anyway, not affraid of the work. Know my way around a vehicle. Just appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Sounds to me like your on the right track! The vinyl graphics will make a world of difference. Just think about it like this...GO BIG OR GO HOME! I think you will have a great looking truck after you do all you have listed.Maybe think about a cool hood, SRT or Cowl or even cheaper a cool scoop of some type. Good Luck

Last edited by BEAR; 06-13-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The 4.7L catbacks/cut-outs sounds really good. Better than the 5.7's.
4.7L is perfect for what you are doing. It's a V8 that can still haul cargo, tow a trailer or feel like you've got some Nut under the hood. Although, not much to brag about when compared to the newer 4.7's or the Hemi!

Def do as Bear stated. get a cowl hood. get yourself one of them OOga horns(on a separate switch)
maybe be get Nitrous and install the blow of valve's on the hood shooting straight up in the air. That gives a nice show along with some strobe LED light strips along the bottom. a 10#bottle under the seat would last a while.

As a normal average Joe Vehicle, i would call that a total F*cking clown car. However, for a business, it is perfect and practical.

p.s. just don't go putting those chrome ball-sacks on the hitch, you may offend some people....lmao

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

nitrous?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
texjosh

Yeah a hood will certainly be on the future mods list. It's a hell of an investment. But if I go down the modding road again, I know it's addictiing.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigc9164
nitrous?

Yeah. Whenever you have a proper nitrous system hooked up, you run a purge line to rid the air of the system. So, instead of running the entire set-up, you would just run the purge valve off the hood or something. It produces a 3ft cloud spraying out of the hood. Sorta neat for show.