3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sub Enclosure Opinion Needed For QC - Under Rear Seat or Center Console?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
xJO98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Enclosure Opinion Needed For QC - Under Rear Seat or Center Console?

I finally settled on the JL Stealthbox with the single 10" sub that goes under the rear passenger seat. The single sub box is how I want to go to keep the driver side rear seat area open for storage. Before I take the $599 plunge however, I figured I'd not completely rule out a center console box. Which would be better suited for a nice tight punch for rock/metal? I'm not looking for boomy, I don't want to rattle the neighborhood, I just want a nice tight punch. I already have aftermarket speakers in the doors driven by a 75x4 amp. I've seen a center console box that houses a single 12" that goes for like $150 or so and the flip up factory arm rest/storage area bolts to it. I think that box with a good quality 12" sub (either a JL or Diamond Audio) would be cheaper than the JL Stealthbox.

Which of the two would you go with? I've already exhausted the under seat options and the JL Stealthbox is the only one I would go with in that arena but if the center console box is a more efficient setup, I guess I'll sacrifice the center seat that nobody rarely sits in.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go with the JL Stealth box under the rear seat. if your worried about a little bit of storage, your gonna hate not having a center console to put crap in!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

599 for a set up your nuts . just get a sheet of mdf and make your own hell ill do it for 50 bucks its easy. but if you got the money i guess!!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I just put one of these in a 12" variety under my rear drivers side seat. I stuffed it with some polyfill and hooked it to a RF 500w mono amp and it sounds pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do what bluesmanjesse said but id use a ten there more brands you can choose from vs the 12" option....id really look into customizing your own or the center console option also......ive got 2 10" in a mdf box under back seat and want more or louder i like deep bass tho and im not gonna get it being stealthy about it .....but your nuts spending that much on a loaded box....many shops are runnin deals right now just for keeping the business going... so shop around in tampa bay u can get a box f/g and install round 6-7 depending on speaker choice sometimes less

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM
xJO98
Rookie

Thanks everyone. I'm handy with alot of things but making sub boxes ain't one of them. I've looked at some of the eBay offerings but I've read on this forum and elsewhere that alot of them may fit the space but aren't designed well to allow for proper air space/effiiciency etc. I started looking at some well known brand unloaded enclosures like Q-Logic, Pro Box, etc and by the time I add a higher end sub, I'm not too far off the $599 price point of the JL and the JL box is tuned to the sub. Believe me, it's not like I have $599 burning a hole in my pocket considering I still need an amp for it but I just want to do this once.

On the center console box, the ones I was looking at replaces the center seat but retains the factory flip open storage console. The only thing that worries me about that style box is (1) it looks like it raises the flip up storage compartment higher than it is from factory and (2) it might be too overpowering to have the sub right next to me.

On having a local shop custom build me a box and fit it with a sub, the price was about the same as the JL.

Argggh....

Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Matt99
Champion

Comparing Diamond Audio and JL is like comparing steak and vienna sausage. Complete different ends of the spectrum. JL is the way to go, I love them and wish I wouln't have sold my old ones for these piece of SHH-IT audiobahns.

I have the Probox but from what I have heard, foxbox is the way to go. two 10s and the foxbox would total at less than that 599 loaded stealthbox. Get a toolbox for storage

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
casper3380
Veteran

i originally went with a thunderform(preloaded with 200 watt amp) but they sounded terrible. missed so much and their accuracy didnt exist. So i went and put in extension plates and a set of jl 10's. I have them at 700 watts though they will take 1000. Very accurate and clean. I had considered the front seat option but i use that seat often enough it wouldnt have worked. as for being to close your only talking a matter of inches compared to a foot or so. I think it would be fine there in that case. just need to decide where you want your storage in back and front or just in back under the seat. tc m8.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
xJO98
Rookie

I've heard great things about the Fox Box as well, but I'm really trying to stay away from a 2x10 (or 2x12) setup. I do have a toolbox in the bed where my tools and the jack are but I still have stuff under my rear seat that I like to keep in the truck with me and yes my center flip open area is full too! I wish Fox made a 1x10 or 1x12 box. I emailed Joe awhile back to find out if he made/would make one but he never emailed me back.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Sloooow
Amateur

I personaly dont mind not having the center consol. I just keep everything in the glove box or pockets in the doors. Im running 2 10's or i think there 10's iv had the box for so long I forgot if there 10's or 12's. I keep it coverd with my car electrick blanket.

fairly drunk so sorry for any spelling errors

Quick Reply: Sub Enclosure Opinion Needed For QC - Under Rear Seat or Center Console?