3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bump stops on a lowered 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bump stops on a lowered 2wd

I'm addressing this to folks who have lowered the rears of their beloved 2wd trucks. Basically, there are those who have flip kits and others with modified springs/hangers. I haven't notched my frame and had about 1" to 1-1/4" travel before hitting the OEM bump stop. The bump stop itself is 3-1/2" tall. I removed the OEM bump stop and have good ride quality at normal highway speeds. Unfortunately my OEM shocks are shot. I ordered up a pair of Monroe (34693) which are 23" fully extended and 14-3/8" fully compressed. These shocks have the added benefit of having internal stops and measure out to be perfect for my setup. OEM shocks are 16" fully compressed and 26.5" fully extended. I am interested in what and how you folks have dealt with bump stops. Are you using a bump stop? OEM? modified OEM or after market? It would be great to see some pictures of an installed flip kit. Are those with flip kits all notched frames? Show me your setup and tell me what you've done.
Much appreciate your response,

Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I see this is a hot item! So I'll give my update and the post will bury itself. Turned out the OEM shocks actually bottom out at the point the axle hits the OEM bumpstop. The originals still had a little charge left in them but the driver side rear's valve was totally shot and the shock was just taking up space. Passenger side was only a little better. This is at 60k miles. The new Monroe Gasmatics feel good without any harshness. Reasonably priced at $45 ea. For a slightly lowered truck I think these do a good job.
enjoy....

Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Hoss356
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of a shock with an internal bumpstop... With a little research you should be able to find a shorter bumpstop. How low do you want to go? Are you ever going to use the truck as a truck? I used to own a minitruck and never needed bumpstops because I stepnotched it so I could lay the frame 1/4" off the ground and throw sparks on the slightest bumps.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Blue_Demon4.7
Rookie

shackles in the back and removed overload bar no probs yet!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

im lowered 6 inches in the rear... I ended up notching the frame and puttin shock extentions in. Dont have any pics to post of it tho...

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Default Bump stops

Originally Posted by Hoss356
I've never heard of a shock with an internal bumpstop... With a little research you should be able to find a shorter bumpstop. How low do you want to go? Are you ever going to use the truck as a truck? I used to own a minitruck and never needed bumpstops because I stepnotched it so I could lay the frame 1/4" off the ground and throw sparks on the slightest bumps.
Hoss,
I misunderstood the salesman when he said the shock had internal bump stop. For my shock it has a bump stop when fully extended, not compressed. However there are a few Monroe shocks that also have internal stops when compressed. If you want to check specfic deminsions check out this site. http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/catal...h_Mounting.pdf

With no bump stops and the new shocks installed I ran my truck down a back country road at speed and found nothing hitting and the handling great. I only wish I had done this sooner. I'm really surprised how poor the handling had become without noticing it.

Quick Reply: Bump stops on a lowered 2wd