3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM
spacemonkey13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emblems

One of the emblems on my bed door fell off and in order for the glue to get a good hold i have to get all the glue residue off. So my question is how do i get the residue off without screwing up the paint. i am also considering just de-badging the whole thing.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Hammer's Debadging DIY, he goes over removing the residue. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...our-truck.html

Old 06-27-2009, 08:50 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I checked around my local parts stores and no one had one or seemed as if they had any idea what I was asking for. Anyway GooGone doesn't do much. But with a lot of work using a wooden paint stir stick and plain old 87 gasoline I got all the badges off in about 3 hours. Actually modified my early Hemi badges by removing the Magnum and remounted them on the fender at the 08 fender location. I like the new look.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

If you can't find the 'eraser' for Hammer's method I'd pick up some 3m General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, it works pretty well and it is safe for paint. I used that to ease the removal of my badges and remove the residue after, just soak it down with the remover and rub it off with a microfiber cloth (this was before I knew you could do it the way Hammer did, his way is much easier).

Here's what the stuff looks like:

Last edited by Altair; 06-27-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Oops, cleaner not remover
Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 PM
all of 75
Veteran

I've taken off the original 2005 RT small badge on my magnum to put on the 08 model badge that is black and red and I used goof-off to remove the adhesive residue.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
bert6573
Professional

Originally Posted by all of 75
I've taken off the original 2005 RT small badge on my magnum to put on the 08 model badge that is black and red and I used goof-off to remove the adhesive residue.
ditto...i used the same stuff to remove the dealership emblem......

Old 06-28-2009, 12:20 AM
coppertable8

I debaded my truck 2 days ago and i used goo gone worked fine for me.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 AM
fishoifc

hey guys working as a automotive refinisher for a long time,be aware that the eraser tool can damage some types of aftermarket paint. If you are not sure of your paint go slow and use a test area.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Just another option here...if you have a badge that fell of or if you are painting your badges you really don't have to remove the factory adhesive.Just go get some 3M emblem adhesive and it will stick right back on and with the old adhesive its easier to put it right back where it was. The proof this works is my truck for example. One side of my truck and the tailgate is done this way. I painted my badges and went through the whole deal of removing the factory adhesive the hard way, cuz at the time I couldn't find a eraser wheel, then I read on here where a guy did his badges with the 3m adhesive so I tried it on the rest of my badges and it worked great. I did a friend of mines truck that way also and the badges are solid as a rock. Now if you are removing or moving the badges then I suggest the eraser wheel or the 3M adhesive remover. I found the eraser wheel at O'Rielys.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

use a peice of 10 pound fishin line and saw them off real easy then clean the embelm side and glue it to the black sticky that is on the truck , if you want to get rid of the black sticky just use goo gone works great. did all my badges in 1.5 hours

Quick Reply: Emblems