3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end needs replaceing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, your wife said you could get a 2500!?!? If my wife said that I would have sold my truck in a heartbeat and got a good 2500 around here for $16,000.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM
darksilver
Default rear end clip problem

Hello, I had just pulled my diff cover to drain the gear oil and change it. To my surprise I found pieces of metal and massive amount of metal shavings... my question is, how long could the rear end last with out these clips in there? And what exactly do they do?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by darksilver
Hello, I had just pulled my diff cover to drain the gear oil and change it. To my surprise I found pieces of metal and massive amount of metal shavings... my question is, how long could the rear end last with out these clips in there? And what exactly do they do?
Did you also find "sparklies" in the oil??
By "sparklies" i mean, fine glittering suspended aluminium particles floating in the oil?
If you did, you MUST drain and completely clean the entire axle.
Not just the diff pan.....the axle tubes......the whole 9 yards.
This stuff will eat your bearings, that's if it hasn't already done so???
As for running without the clutch pack retainers.......I did for over 20 thousand miles, while I saved up for a DTT and a full rebuild.
One of the best mods I ever did to my Hemi was getting rid of that POS stock LSD. No more worry about a grenading rear end and possible serious safety issues. I really just don't know, how Dodge got away with this???
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: rear end needs replaceing