3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Head gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-23-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
qevans

http://rxauto.com/index.htm
have used the product and it worked just fine. no problems and its been almost a month.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by qevans
have used the product and it worked just fine. no problems and its been almost a month.
That's because your water jackets are now clogged shut.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qevans

ya it would be fine for a beater, but I wouldnt use it on a newer vehicle...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
02Regcab
Professional

Ran into the Same problem last year. Blew out a rad hose overheated my engine , started getting miss fires in cyl 1,3,7 and sure enough burning coolant. Because the 4.7L has the aluminium heads and iron block the heads are probably warped pretty bad. Mine were 10x outta spec and needed new heads from Dodge which at cost were around $1300 alone. Took about 24hours total time spaced over 4 days but I also replaced the Oil pump while in there because its common to go on higher milage 4.7's. The Trucks been abused good for about 30,oookm since blowing the gaskets and runnin great still.. Your looking around $1750USD in parts for new heads , oil pump, plugs , wires , fluids and gaskets. While your in there I highly recommend Cams.. !!!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Ok guys here's an update. I've been asking around, obviously on here, and friends of friends, and I posted on craigslist for anyone in the area that could help me do the job. Today I was contacted by a guy, who is a mechanic at a used car dealership, that told me he knew how to do it and has the tools and everything and depending on how much time he has to spend at my house with me, he prob wouldn't want more than like $100. I hope he actually does know what he's doing. He seemed like a cool guy. He also said that through his work, he can probably get the parts for cheaper than I would be able to, so he is going to look it up when he has a change and let me know.

Also, a SAINT posted in my other thread, saying that if I can get to shreveport, he has an xtra set of 4.7 heads that I could HAVE...Which was really the other significant problem, as you guys as well as others, have given me the impression that the heads are prob going to need to be replaced, or at least worked on, so that is absolutely awesome.

What do you guys think?

You guys mentioned something about cams? Can someone explain this in more detail to me? I don't really know what they do, how much they would cost, or why I should replace it/them while we're in there.

Thanks for everything guys, I really appreciate it. I've been telling everyone nothing but good things about these boards and how genuine and helpful everyone here is.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional

deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-23-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 07-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by SPARTANENGINEER1701
Ice before you go by cams and such ,tear it down find out what happened to the motor.

This is my view,that job is big,and takes alot of time to do a 4.7 sohc
100$ is hmmmmm spooky? to have someone do it for that price.

1.get a pics of the engine ,i took 115 pics before i completely tore down my stealth, that way u know where everything is,ok

2 see if block is damaged ,cracked walls ,burnt pistons,broke rings.

if that happens its a new ball game.

be very careful at what u do and how u do it.

status report when heads are off please
Well it's we just kind of lightly talked about how much he would want to do it, and it's just extra money for the guy on the side, so I guess he just sees it as money in his pocket that he otherwise won't get, and he doesn't want to say too much to make me just say nevermind and keep looking lol.

I'm sure there are people on here who wouldn't mind helping someone out for cheap, but I know what you mean haha. I'll keep you guys updated as I find out more stuff. I can't even do it SOON anyway...I'm working non-stop and I still gotta drive out to shreveport to pick up those heads from the guy on here.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional
Default 4.7 liter

deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-23-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by 02Regcab
Your looking around $1750USD in parts for new heads , oil pump, plugs , wires , fluids and gaskets. While your in there I highly recommend Cams.. !!!
Why would you replace the oil pump? Unless something got in there and destroyed it, there's not much that can go wrong with it. Most oil pumps in cars will last longer than a Cummins!

Quick Reply: Blown Head gasket help