3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Max Energy for 08+ 4.7 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
08DodgeTRX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Max Energy for 08+ 4.7 Review

So, this is my 2 cent review of the Hypertech Max Energy programmer. I asked about this programmer a couple of times on the board and never got any responses so I guess I'm the first one to get one.

I have had the program on for a little over two weeks now and wanted to provide some real world feedback for anyone else considering this purchase.

1) I loaded the regular gas tune, because I really don't want to buy premium gas. The truck definitely feels like it has more power, especially down low. After I put the magnaflow on I felt like the truck lost some low end power. I feel like the Hypertech gave me all that power back and then some. We not talking about a mind numbing, tire smoking difference, but enough that I could easily tell the difference right away. 0-60 times actually are sadly about the same, my truck has always run around a 8.5 0-60, from a standing start using the stopwatch method (IE not accurate). This is surprising to me b/c between 1000-2000 & again between 3000-red line, it feels like the truck has more power than it did (good ole but dyno). My truck used to feel really sluggish until 3K, now it just seems sluggish between 2k and 3K. Don't really know why but its very annoying.

2) The transmission, you can tell the tuner did a lot of work here. Shifts are much, much firmer. You can really tell the a difference when accelerating quickly. However when your just cruising around town the shifts are not that harsh, but are still firmer. I did not change the shift points for the transmission (IE rev limiter) but where my truck used to shift around 3k out of first, its now doing it just over 2k.

3) As far as gas millage is concerned I'm still out on deliberation. The tank before the tuner I got 14.5 MPG. When I filled up yesterday I got 15.3, however in the winter months I was routinely getting 15.5. So I am really not sure how much better my MPG's have gotten. It seemed like the hotter it got the worse my millage was getting, and this would appear to be a .8 MPG boost, but as its my first summer with the truck and the millage is still below what it was in the winter I can not definitely say the MPG's are up. So that is kinda of a bummer. I'll update this post sometime in the future to let everyone know if this changes.

Overall I'm very happy with the tuner, I haven't really messed with any of the settings, rev limiter is the same, shift points the same, never tired the premium gas program. The code reader is easy to use, it was easy to update.

One thing about the install. The directions said to pull all stereo fuses, sat radio, off road lights, etc. So I did, and the programmer wouldn't install. As soon as i put the factory sat. radio fuse back in, the programmer installed successfully. So if your going to buy this do not pull the factory fuse for the sat. radio, it just wont work.

Oh yeah, I bought this from AirRam.com, I purchased it on Tuesday, got it on Friday. I will definitely buy from them again.

Any questions.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

i have the hyperpac installed and and running reg fuel as well, i have my shift points set at +400. i have ran the premium and it will burn my 22's( no power stalling) no problem and actually kicked the rear end out. i plan on changing the tuning next fill up.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Great feedback! I have an '08 as well and have been looking for a programmer but no one seems to make them except Hypertech. Like you, when I installed my muffler, I felt I lost a little down low. Thanks for the review.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Max Energy for 08+ 4.7 Review