3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For Those Who Have Painted Their Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not really that bigga deal...
Name:  Dodgeforum-1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  17.8 KB

if you lived around me I would do it, its so easy

Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Got_Hemi44;1729036]IT was deffinately worth it I had my heads off my truck for 3 days though.

yea i know its prob. worth it lol i have an extra set so i will still be able to drive my truck around

Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just take your time and it should look good. I've never seen a set of them painted silver.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

dude im tellin you...its EASY. after you finish it, you're gonna wonder why you ever doubted yourself thinking it'd be complicated. dont mess with the vht, if you'll recall, its designed to allow some light through, even if its thick. use primer instead...it doesnt let any light through. 3-4 coats on the inside, 2 coats on the outside and it'll be impossibe for even the brightest light to break through

Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

lol alright. i have adhesion promoter primer and self etching primer. which one should i use? and what temp and how long in the oven worked good for you?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Why can't you prime and clear coat? Most the people who are following the DIY did both

Because my impression was that he wanted to spray the INSIDE of the CLEAR part of the headlight. Not the backing that you guys are showing as being black.
If you take the "clear plastic cover" off the headlights, turn it around and primer that part, you will see gray from the outside because your looking at the backside at that point. He said he was gonna paint Eyelids on the inside. That's what i am referring to. i think you guys aren't understanding what i am talking about.

Anyone can spray the back part black, but to stencil a straight line for an eyebrow from the inside rather than on the outside is harder said than done. Then you have to spray. Silver never said anything about spraying the outside this is why everything is getting confusing.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
ok i think you miss understand. i would be spraying the nightshade on the outside. then once it dries painting silver over it. the nightshade just would be used so the light wont pass through it.
yes i did dirty lol

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
yes i did dirty lol

cough..cough...Yeah AFTER i already gave some insight

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Because my impression was that he wanted to spray the INSIDE of the CLEAR part of the headlight. Not the backing that you guys are showing as being black.
If you take the "clear plastic cover" off the headlights, turn it around and primer that part, you will see gray from the outside because your looking at the backside at that point. He said he was gonna paint Eyelids on the inside. That's what i am referring to. i think you guys aren't understanding what i am talking about.

Anyone can spray the back part black, but to stencil a straight line for an eyebrow from the inside rather than on the outside is harder said than done. Then you have to spray. Silver never said anything about spraying the outside this is why everything is getting confusing.
thats exactly what im telling him to do. i did it, and it makes the eyelids look much much better. the difference between mine and 01steve's are he only painted the outside of the lens, and as you see light gets through. no light gets through on mine BECAUSE i sprayed a few coats on the inside. i understand your concern about the silver becoming gray, but i dont thinkthat will be a problem.

as for the silicone or rtv when putting it back together, you really shouldnt need it. when pulling the lens apart its gonna get REAL stringy. use a razor blade or scissors to cut through them. oven temp for me was exactly what the diy said... 225 i think for 10 minutes. when you're finished, put it back in the oven and press it back together. you shouldnt need any extra sealant. several people have had theirs apart several times without any extra sealant and theres no water getting in at all

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

alright thanks af. ill let you know how it goes tomorrow.
btw how was the trans temp install?

Quick Reply: For Those Who Have Painted Their Headlights