3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram. Lots of problems. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
willtotheumm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram. Lots of problems. Help?

I'm posting this for my buddy. He just got his hands on an 02 Ram with the 4.7L V8, quad cab, 2wd. A few days after driving it, he blew a headgasket. Upon further inspection, it was determined that the heads were cracked. He had the heads replaced and all new gaskets from oil pan to valve cover, thermostat, water pump, and radiator, timing chain, tensioners, gears, etc.

Now that it's running it's throwing only 9 CEL's.

P0300
P0301
P0302
P0304
P0303
P0308
P0442
P0445
P0455

Now at first there were only a few. Then it'd trade out for a few others. Then back to some others. We do have a reader and a guide to show what code means what. We have done spark tests on each cylinder, used a multimeter on each coil, and even swapped out a few of the coils with each other.

We're at a standstill. I'm no noob and searched too. Can't quite find a good answer.

Could anyone on here have any ideas?

-Will

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Who did the work... if you're getting spark on all cylinders it sounds like your timing is way off for whatever reason. One of the cam sensors/wheels could've been damaged but I doubt it since the misses are on both banks. If the installer didn't know what they were doing an OHC install can be screwed up pretty easily.

The evap codes wouldn't cause misses...were the codes there before the work was done? I'd start by checking your evap lines/pressure switch under the hood and work your way back to the canister/fuel tank. Check all the lines/gas cap and the canister/tank themselves.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 AM
shinna202
Amateur

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Who did the work... if you're getting spark on all cylinders it sounds like your timing is way off for whatever reason. One of the cam sensors/wheels could've been damaged but I doubt it since the misses are on both banks. If the installer didn't know what they were doing an OHC install can be screwed up pretty easily.

The evap codes wouldn't cause misses...were the codes there before the work was done? I'd start by checking your evap lines/pressure switch under the hood and work your way back to the canister/fuel tank. Check all the lines/gas cap and the canister/tank themselves.
sorry to hijack your thread but im having some of the same problems.
My 02 is is having miss-fire in three different cylinders, and it also has the evap. system leak.

P1491 Radiator fan relay control circuit
P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0307 Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected

So to fix this i went and changed the spark plugs and the wires, it still doing it. When i start it the trucks idle just goes up and down.

"I'd start by checking your evap lines/pressure switch under the hood and work your way back to the canister/fuel tank. Check all the lines/gas cap and the canister/tank themselves." is their a DIY to this with pics? im a noob when comes to fixing things myself.

Also what is the normal idle speed for these trucks? because mine sure seems low, its at 6 right now. how do i go about changing the idle speed if its too low?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 AM
shinna202
Amateur

bump up, not my thread, but would like some answers.
thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
02Regcab
Professional

When my head gaskets went on my 4.7L i got codes 3,5,7 cylinder missfires... and evap codes.. so first bet is check compression on all cylinders..
Did you use all new spark plugs and wires? No doubt the old plugs would be fowled by the burning coolant..

Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
shinna202
Amateur

Originally Posted by 02Regcab
When my head gaskets went on my 4.7L i got codes 3,5,7 cylinder missfires... and evap codes.. so first bet is check compression on all cylinders..
Did you use all new spark plugs and wires? No doubt the old plugs would be fowled by the burning coolant..
yeah, i bought all new ngk plugs and wires from napa.
I have this code reader thing and when i checked the codes again after the plugs has been changed, its only throwing P0442 code, which is evap. emission leak. whats the first thing i should do?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 AM
shinna202
Amateur

please help me get rid of the code.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram. Lots of problems. Help?