3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How To Reset PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can do it as much as you would like to do it.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,i just went out and pulled the fuse and did as directed above.I could only get 1 chime.I sat there for about 5 min and no second or third chime.Did i do something wrong or is this all ya get out of the 06's?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:33 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by abarmby
The removal of the battery negetive, is the full "cold" reset of the PCM.
The fuse removal is a "soft" reset.
Both are good but should be used correctly.
If forinstance you have made mods to the engine, do a "cold" reset. That way the PCM relearns new parameters.
If you have an error code you want rid of like the gas cap code, do the "soft" reset.
Hope this helps?
Al.
Going to have to disagree with you there. I have looked this up so many different times and have had the method confirmed by alot of people who drive our trucks as well as mechanics... Pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery do the same exact thing when it comes down to resetting the pcm and they are both considered a hard (or as you put it cold) restarts. The only difference between the two is when pulling the fuse you are ONLY resetting the pcm and not everything else in your truck (radio for example). The soft restarts are what you get from using a tuner and resetting the pcm and they do not remove all of the learned memory in the pcm and can be used to clear codes if needed...

Old 07-19-2009, 04:40 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Tazman40
Ok,i just went out and pulled the fuse and did as directed above.I could only get 1 chime.I sat there for about 5 min and no second or third chime.Did i do something wrong or is this all ya get out of the 06's?
Did you pull the right fuse? There are some cases where if you have a vehicle that was manufactured early in the model year or later in the model year that they could have used the fuse box for the next year up or previous year which means the fuse number can change... Read the top of the fuse box and check to be sure that the fuse you pulled is the PCM B+ power fuse... After that buckle the seatbelt and turn the truck to run, do not start it and wait. When I do mine it takes a 30sec-a minute before I get the 3 dings...

There is also some instances with the later model trucks where you only hear 2 dings instead of 3, if you think it has been reset put the fuse back in and take it for a drive, you should be able to tell that it was reset by the way it responds.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Tazman40
Professional

the fuse holder cover said it was fuse 31 so thats the one i pulled,Ill go out and have another look and see if theres something else.

Quick Reply: How To Reset PCM