3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Cams

I am starting to research for a later hemi project. Anyone know of or have good resources on how and what to pick for a cam? I want to have a lumpy idle but still streetable. thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

The cam I will be putting in my truck in a few months is going to be the spartan cam from inertia motorsports. I have driven in a ram with this cam and although it does require a tune inorder to run it it is a very streetable cam. If you are looking to not run a custom tune with it you are going to want to find one that has a similar lsa to what the stock cams do (115-116lsa I believe) which will work with a Superchips canned tune.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by truckin151
The cam I will be putting in my truck in a few months is going to be the spartan cam from inertia motorsports. I have driven in a ram with this cam and although it does require a tune inorder to run it it is a very streetable cam. If you are looking to not run a custom tune with it you are going to want to find one that has a similar lsa to what the stock cams do (115-116lsa I believe) which will work with a Superchips canned tune.
What kind of tune are you talking about (spartan cam)? And does it have to come from diablo? If it does come from diablo do you have to have them build in MDS delete, shift points and that can of stuff?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If I understand it correctly the tune is just like the canned tunes that come on the programmer only adjusted for the cam to give it optimum performance. The rest of the features such as shift points and turning the mds on/off are still available to adjust. I know a couple of guys running the cam I am going to get with the DSP tuning it. You can get the tuning done by inertial motorsports or by taking it down to a CMR Tuner and actually get it dyno tuned.

To be perfectly honest that portion of the tuning is way over my head which is why I will be having someone else do the tuning on it so I dont screw something up.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodgeboy77
I am starting to research for a later hemi project. Anyone know of or have good resources on how and what to pick for a cam? I want to have a lumpy idle but still streetable. thanks
I have done a lot of research into this topic and there are a lot of good choices out there for cams. It depends a lot on what you are looking for from your truck to determine what cam is best. Do you want to get a custom tune or use a canned tune? What type of truck are you driving, a heavy 4x4 QC or a lighter 2wd RC? Do you want some down low grunt or high rpm power?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

It's going to be a 03-06 hemi rcsb 2wd. I have a 4wd car and truck so i don't need 4wd. I am just going to build it for fun in the summer.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by truckin151
If I understand it correctly the tune is just like the canned tunes that come on the programmer only adjusted for the cam to give it optimum performance. The rest of the features such as shift points and turning the mds on/off are still available to adjust. I know a couple of guys running the cam I am going to get with the DSP tuning it. You can get the tuning done by inertial motorsports or by taking it down to a CMR Tuner and actually get it dyno tuned.

To be perfectly honest that portion of the tuning is way over my head which is why I will be having someone else do the tuning on it so I dont screw something up.

Thats what I thought, let us know what DSP says or does for you.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Its not DSP writing the tune. The person dyno tuning it will write it onto the diablo controller and it should function like one of their tunes.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

My bust.

Quick Reply: Hemi Cams