3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got this code P0420

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
reefguy89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got this code P0420

This code is for the 1/1 Catalytic Conv Eff. What is it for? And what could be the problem? I just change the spark plug and had a new exhuast put on (Flomaster muffler and magnaflow tips.)

Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

well if you got your catalytic converter cut off its gonna throw a code and your check engine light will come on. there are things that will stop the check engine light from coming on but i don't know what its called

Old 07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
reefguy89
Captain

i didnt get it cut off it is still there

Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
ZANGADO
Rookie

I have a Dakota V-6 magnum and have the same code pop up every now and then,i put some gumout fuel injector cleaner in and it goes away for a week or two so i researched a little and bought two new oxygen sensors($50 a piece front and rear) and the idle and fuel consumption got dramiticaly better and the check engine light came on again after about a month with the same p0420 code again.I am now wondering weather or not to buy a new Catylitic converter or not,but on another post i read that a couple guy's on here that have a flowmaster series 40(like i do)said that the light keeps coming on for them too cause of the change of the restrictive original muffler.So i will keep reading on here until i hear something different that i can try.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

I have a 2003 ram 1500 with the 5.9 v-8 i also got a flowmaster muffler and magnaflow tips put on about 2 weeks ago and i just got the same code 2 days ago .

Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My first guess would be an exhaust leak. Did they weld the system or just use the cheesy clamps???

Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Denniss66
well if you got your catalytic converter cut off its gonna throw a code and your check engine light will come on. there are things that will stop the check engine light from coming on but i don't know what its called
There are devices made called sensor simulators that can stop this code. They aren't exactly street legal because they essentially keep the O2 sensor from going out of range and causing the code. That doesn't stop people from using them, however.

I've been getting this same code on my old 4runner. The exhaust is completely stock and I don't smell unusual exhaust smells, can find no leaks, and the vehicle runs as good as ever. I just put a new downstream O2 sensor in it hoping maybe the sensor was just getting flaky. But, if that doesn't keep the code from coming back, I'm probably going to install a simulator on the O2 sensor until I start seeing signs of a real problem with the CATs (yes it has 2 CATs $$$$$).

The CAT system only has to lose 5% efficiency before that code will start popping up. That means it can still be 95% efficient and the sensors will still report it as being deficient. You can thank the great state of CA for all that BS.

Quick Reply: Got this code P0420