3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio/subs question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/subs question

Does the stock radio have the outputs for a sub amp or do I have to go aftermarket?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did i had my sub wired with my stock radio for like 3 months

Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Cool. What was the wiring order? I havent done this in like 6 years so I have forgotten how to rig it up. Ofbviosly I know how to do the ground. But the +12v, is that where I run the line from the battery? What is the REM line supposed to run to?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no i idea had a shop do it...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Thats alright, hopefully someone will chime in . Thanks anyway.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

hmm if i remember right the rem line is the power on off with the ignition and the +12 is directly to the battery????

Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

No factory units that I have seen have RCA outs on the back for a sub. That requires a seperate channel. Now maybe if you had the Infinity stereo it may have one.
Anyways, no you don't have to go aftermarket radio. You can do a line output converter. Transfers speakerwire into RCA plugs. There are units like JL cleansweep and Rockford 3sixtyOne. May wanna look into those if keeping your factory unit and running a sub. Most factory units destroy sub quality as they need a seperate line for a diff. frequency range. The two listed above fix this issue although they can be expensive. Line output converter can be bought at Walmart or Radio Shack for like $15 but it will be a degraded sub quality. if your running lower end subs you probably won't even notice the difference!

Yellow wire is Ignition
Red wire is 12v+ constant
Blue wire is Remote wire. You'll want to tie this in with the ignition wire.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Menace2Authority

Originally Posted by dirtydog
No factory units that I have seen have RCA outs on the back for a sub. That requires a seperate channel. Now maybe if you had the Infinity stereo it may have one.
Anyways, no you don't have to go aftermarket radio. You can do a line output converter. Transfers speakerwire into RCA plugs. There are units like JL cleansweep and Rockford 3sixtyOne. May wanna look into those if keeping your factory unit and running a sub. Most factory units destroy sub quality as they need a seperate line for a diff. frequency range. The two listed above fix this issue although they can be expensive. Line output converter can be bought at Walmart or Radio Shack for like $15 but it will be a degraded sub quality. if your running lower end subs you probably won't even notice the difference!

Yellow wire is Ignition
Red wire is 12v+ constant
Blue wire is Remote wire. You'll want to tie this in with the ignition wire.
DirtyDog is right about sub quality with Line output converters. In my Chrysler 300 I used a LOC and it was a train wreck! What happens with the majority of factory stereos (not sure about the premium lines) is the stereo cuts down the bass at a certain volume level so as not to blow the factory speakers.... well... quite often this leaves the Sub Woofers popping and cracking as the deck is "cutting out the bass" and it just sounds horrible. In my Chrysler 300 I couldn't turn the volume up above 20 without having this problem. I used a cheaper Line Output Converter however.
In my previous car audio experiences, it's well worth buying an aftermarket deck and the PROPER wiring harness converting kit so it's all just "plug and play". The reason I didn't do this with my 300 is because I had the steering wheel stereo controls.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Menace2Authority
The reason I didn't do this with my 300 is because I had the steering wheel stereo controls.
You shouldn't have let that deter you. There are different H/U manufacturers out there that make decks with remote button support. They are a little more though.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I never touch steering wheel buttons. i like to touch the radio itself. I have changed out the radio in a few of my own cars and it didn't bother me that the steering controls were useless and just looked good.
I never even use my wife's steering controls in her car when I'm driving. i always use the radio. It's something about placement and akwardness of steering controls that I don't like. I drive with my left hand at 7o'clock most of the time, so most controls are useless especially if you need your right hand to use them. I just go to the radio at that point.

However, yes there are modules that can be had for certain vehicles based upon stereo manufacturer you go with. Go to Crutchfield's website and get all the part numbers and information you need and then hit up ebay or Sonicelectronix for 1/2 the price of Crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Radio/subs question