3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anybody Test Driven the new Power WAgon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody Test Driven the new Power WAgon?

I think it would be a great "oil field" work truck, but it's simply too BIG, too long for serious offroading anywhere I've ever been.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

ORIGINAL: salomonskier

I was wonderin if i get 285/70/17 tires om my 2005 Ram would it be much different thena a powerwagon? here is what i got.

5.7L HEMI Magnum V8 Engine
Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly Part-Time Transfer Case
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Protection Group-
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Trailer Tow Group-
7-Pin Wiring Harness
750-Ampere Maintenance-Free Battery
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Class IV Hitch Receiver
Under-the-Rail Box Bedliner
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Off Road Group-
17" x 8.0" Aluminum Wheels
3.92 Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Axle
Fog Lamps
LT275/70R17C OWL All Terrain Tires
"Off Road" Badge
Tow Hooks
First It sounds like you have a 1500, which means a lot of difference between it an the Power Wagon. You have IFS, the Power Wagon has a solid front axle. Second the Power wagon has front and rear electric locking differentials, you don't have a locker in the front at all and an LSD in the rear. Third the disconnecting sway bar is something I don't think you could even add to your truck, and let's not forget that the Power Wagon has that uber sweet 12,000lbs Mile Marker Winch behind that front bumper, which to do that you would have to lose your cool 1500 tow hooks/bar and mount the winch then have someone fab you up some d-ring style hooks or have someone weld you on a set of the 2500 hooks. Too much work if you ask me. Buy the Power Wagon or do what I'm doing and just get an '01 or earlier Ram and build the hell out of it.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

only issue is that the winh is by warn not mile marker
Original: Dodge.com
345-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine
Electronically locking front and rear differentials
Electronically disconnecting front stabilizer bar
12,000-pound Warn® winch
33-inch BFGoodrich® All-Terrain T/A®KO tires
Long-travel Bilstein® shock absorbers

Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

You can have a disconnecting sway bar in a 1500. Superlift sells a nice quick disconnect set up but it is not automatic or "power" in any way. Electric lockers are also an aftermarket option. The winch is easy enough to add. There is already an after market kit available to allow you to move the winch to the front or rear reciever hitch and even stow it away when it's not in use. You do have to sacrifice your tow hooks though. As for D-rings, if you have a removable winch with a reciever set up, you can insert a hook ($30) into the reciever and your ready to pull or be pulled.
IFS technology is getting scary good with so many trucks using it exclusivly. There are new products coming out every day. As far as having a daily driver that you can also get nutty with, an IFS truck is a good compromise.
Mine works pretty well so far.

ORIGINAL: RebelRam04

ORIGINAL: salomonskier

I was wonderin if i get 285/70/17 tires om my 2005 Ram would it be much different thena a powerwagon? here is what i got.

5.7L HEMI Magnum V8 Engine
Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly Part-Time Transfer Case
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Protection Group-
Tow Hooks
Trailer Tow Group-
7-Pin Wiring Harness
750-Ampere Maintenance-Free Battery
Class IV Hitch Receiver
Under-the-Rail Box Bedliner
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Off Road Group-
17" x 8.0" Aluminum Wheels
3.92 Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Axle
Fog Lamps
LT275/70R17C OWL All Terrain Tires
"Off Road" Badge
Tow Hooks
First It sounds like you have a 1500, which means a lot of difference between it an the Power Wagon. You have IFS, the Power Wagon has a solid front axle. Second the Power wagon has front and rear electric locking differentials, you don't have a locker in the front at all and an LSD in the rear. Third the disconnecting sway bar is something I don't think you could even add to your truck, and let's not forget that the Power Wagon has that uber sweet 12,000lbs Mile Marker Winch behind that front bumper, which to do that you would have to lose your cool 1500 tow hooks/bar and mount the winch then have someone fab you up some d-ring style hooks or have someone weld you on a set of the 2500 hooks. Too much work if you ask me. Buy the Power Wagon or do what I'm doing and just get an '01 or earlier Ram and build the hell out of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/AD43FFF607C04BD7A6ACEBE82F85FA35.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

I stand corrected on the manufacturer of the winch. The point still stands though that adding larger tires isn't gonna get you anywhere close to the performance of a Power Wagon. The Power Wagon incorporates all the cool goodies the aftermarket 4x4 industry stands on to make a buck. Yes it is possible to build a truck to match the performance of a Power Wagon (although I would start with a non-IFS truck like an older 1500 or new 2500, using my '01 1500 Offroad myself) but the question is cost/benifit. It will probably prove cheaper to just buy a Power Wagon. And since the Power Wagon's options are covered under the factory warranty it will definitely be cheaper to keep up, altleast for the first 30k miles.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 AM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

hrm... i think my truck diff's lock up cuz when i put it in 4x4 when i turn on the street u can hear the tires squeel

Old 05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

I haven't had the opportunity to drive one of these bad boys yet but I saw one at the dealership in Gwinnett County Ga with M/Ts instead of the factory A/Ts and let me tell you that thing looked even meaner! Wish I had pics but when I went back with my camera it was gone.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

hrm... i think my truck diff's lock up cuz when i put it in 4x4 when i turn on the street u can hear the tires squeel
You're gonna mess up your truck if you do this on pavement. It is trying to power both wheels because the traction is the same. When you turn it will bind up the front end and will eventually turn or push the tire making it squeel. One of these days the drivetrain will give out from that abuse. Also, I have gotten many 4x4 stuck because it had one front wheel turning and one rear wheel turning in deep mud while the others had good contact/traction. Then I gotta get the big Case 4x4 4WS tractor that is about 2 miles away. That is a long walk in summer heat.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 AM
gooddoc

ORIGINAL: DonG

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have that truck, but most off-road trails I've been on that require swaybar disconnects and full skid plates are too narrow and have too sharp of switch-backs to handle a big QC Ram. If I were buying a trail vehicle, I think I'd have to go with a Jeep. Oh wait...I did.
I think you would be very surprised where my Power Wagon can go. Surely, there are places a Jeep will go that I cannot, but it is far less than you would imagine, especially If you're not overly concerned about the sheet metal surrounding the Lockers

Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 AM
gooddoc

BTW, I don't disagree that the Jeep is a better dedicated off-road chassis, but for those of us that also want to be able to haul stuff around or tow, the Power Wagon is the way to go.

Ideally I would get a Jeep as a 2nd vehicle for off-roading, but I definitely like this truck. I believe it is far more capable than you might expect.

Quick Reply: Anybody Test Driven the new Power WAgon?