3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shift kit? or no...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 PM
draco8494
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit? or no...

ive got a ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 hemi auto, and i was thinkin about getting a shift kit when i get my fluid change...you guys think this is a good idea? i will be towing every so often and i DONT wanna blow the tranny, just somethin that will firm up the shifts maybe a lil more than a programmer all by itself.. anybody els with a 2500 runnin a shift kit? or even any 1500 guys?? feedback would be awesome

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a lot of reading about shift kits a little while back bc I was thinking of putting one in when I was running the DSP with no trans control. From what I could gather from the people who had installed them is that there wasn't really the noticable difference in the transmission performance that many had expected. It seemed like the biggest difference with the kit was not from changing out the springs in the valve body but from installing the resistor that comes with the kits. After doing a lot of reading I decided to pass on the kit bc it just didn't seem like it was not giving the results that I was looking for. I instead went the route of trading my DSP for a SC and I am very happy with the way my trans is performing now.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
froto'sride
Professional

If you are not towing or racing or at least getting the money you paid for those tires out of them I'd just go for the SC. However most kits allow for better oil flow due to larger ports which will firm the shifts but more importantly aids in preventing you from burning up your valve body.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
nvisciani
Rookie

I did the Flashpaq and got the shift points and firmness that I wanted that it did not have from the factory. It also fixed the low speed lazy upshifts. No point in modifing the trans if you dont have too... The Flashpaq took 20 minutes...

Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
draco8494
Captain

yeah thats what i was figuring i tried to search for shift kits and there isnt really alot out there that i could find, did find a trans control that prolly does what a SC would do just a plug n play deal for the trans,,

Quick Reply: shift kit? or no...