3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running amp wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 AM
VP64
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i took some pictures. but they came out really dark. I got so many wires running everywhere that posting a pic would just make things more confusing.

but the firewall is the wall that separates your engine from the inside of your cab.
its made of metal and steel. if you didnt have a firewall u would get sucked into the engine and get spit back out from the exhaust.

dodge rams have a precut area under ur dash, behind ur brake pedals. they have a rectagular shaped black plastic cover over the precut spot. get a drill and drill a hole through that plastic. make sure to check under the hood to make sure u are not drilling through any thing on the otherside. u should be able to see the rectangular black plastic on the other side too.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

This is the best picture I've got of how I ran my wire on my '04.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Bubba870

i just put a system in my 02 reg cab.

i started from under the hood and gotta drill bit the size of my amp wire and just slowly drilled through that oval plastic piece with 2 bolts in it, and then pulled my wire through. it was super easy. the hardest part for me was getting the RCAs from behind the cd player down to carpet level so i could run em back. finally got a metal hanger and hooked the cable on it and poked it down the dash.

by far the easiest system install ive ever done. gotta love Dodge trucks.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I ran mine just like bigmac's, I used a drill bit slightly smaller than the wire and went through the soft rubber so it would make a good tight seal around the wire without damaging it. Be careful about where you ground your amp,the rear seat bracket needs the paint ground off before you can get a decent ground from it.(a bad ground will fry your amp!)

Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Lol I feel like I did mine ghetto stylenow. Got a razor blade and just cut through the grommit that comes through right above the parking brake, then ran it straight down through the carpet and under the plastic door thing and it comes out right behind the seat to go to my amp underneath the seat.

It took forever to cut that rubber, it's so thick and doesn't stretch very well, but finally got it through.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you guys ever get a chance to get one, the best thing I ever used to snake wires through a dash with was an old speedo cable.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

a length of jack chain from the hardware store works wonders too(this is an old electricians trick for fishing wires in walls and such) It works pretty well in dash's also.

Or if you wanna get real serious in your fishing tackle get some of these bad boys... http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ks-620207.aspx

(probably overkill for most automotive needs though,lol)

Last edited by Bluesmanjesse; 08-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Running amp wire