3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Hook mount question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
codiac
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hook mount question

I picked up some tow hooks for my 04 1500 off craigslist, and installed them in my sport bumper, but wonder what the trucks with factory hooks look like from the back. Are the bumper mounts threaded to bolt the hooks to? Can someone take a pic, or just tell me whats back there on your non-sport with factory tow hooks? I'm thinking the bumper mounts are different on the sport, or there is something back there to distribute the load other than some washers and nuts.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont have a sports and when I put mine on I used grade 8 nuts, bolts and washers. Nothing on the bumper was threaded.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Same here - there were some slots in these plates that were attached to the back of the bumper where the hooks fit in. I bolted it to the frame mounts and the bumper slid over it. It did not quite work like the instructions said.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
codiac
Professional

Just making sure, I used grade 8 hardware, just wondering if my bumper mounts were going to rip off first time i tugged on something. They guy I bought them from gave me the hardware with the tow bar, but just bolts, no nuts, which made me think there was a nut welded to the back of some of the bumper mounts.

Quick Reply: Tow Hook mount question