3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!! Rough running/Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HELP!! Rough running/Idling problem

Hey all, the last few weeks on and off I've been having a really bad idling problem and a hesitation thing going on with my "Brandie". Yesterday we went to the store and stopped to turn down one of the parking lanes and she just cut off. I started her back up and it was running even rougher. So I gunned it a few times to clean it out and it would rev up to about 3500-4000 rpm and it bogged down really, I mean really bad.

Now from a previous thread I wrote about a month ago, I had change to a different synthetic oil than the Mobil one I was running. I'm down almost 4-5 mpg's, rough idling and the bogging down. I was getting 18-21 mpgs on my daily 50 mile round trip commute. We were getting almost 23 mpg’s on a recent GA to NY trip. Again most of my replies to this were that "No way a different oil would do all of this, got to be something else". Now I'm having ALL these problems AFTER the oil change, HELP!!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DaHipaKea1313
Hey all, the last few weeks on and off I've been having a really bad idling problem and a hesitation thing going on with my "Brandie". Yesterday we went to the store and stopped to turn down one of the parking lanes and she just cut off. I started her back up and it was running even rougher. So I gunned it a few times to clean it out and it would rev up to about 3500-4000 rpm and it bogged down really, I mean really bad.

Now from a previous thread I wrote about a month ago, I had change to a different synthetic oil than the Mobil one I was running. I'm down almost 4-5 mpg's, rough idling and the bogging down. I was getting 18-21 mpgs on my daily 50 mile round trip commute. We were getting almost 23 mpg’s on a recent GA to NY trip. Again most of my replies to this were that "No way a different oil would do all of this, got to be something else". Now I'm having ALL these problems AFTER the oil change, HELP!!
Well one thing for sure it ain't the oil causing the rough Idling. Sounds like you are having TB troubles. Have you cleaned your Throttle Body lately? If not then try it and if that don't work your prolly need to change the TPS.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 AM
bolang
Professional

How many miles on your truck? I recently work on a 2002 with 97k and had the same problems with no cel and replaced 02 sensors and fixed it right up.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Originally Posted by BEAR
Well one thing for sure it ain't the oil causing the rough Idling. Sounds like you are having TB troubles. Have you cleaned your Throttle Body lately? If not then try it and if that don't work your prolly need to change the TPS.
Thanks Bear and Bolang, I'll try the TB clean out, any special TB cleaner and I'm not sure (or just a BF) what's the TPS?? Also anyone ever use Sea Foam? I'm thinking of trying it down the road just before the next oil change and yes I'm going back to Mobil one. Wally World has the Green cap Mobil one Fuel saver flavor for $22 a jug.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPS is throttle position sensor and I had similar symptoms when my TPS went on my old car. I also had similar symptoms on my old car when the coil pack went, but since you didn't say you were getting any codes it's probably not your coils.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
gmb4fords
Veteran

i just fixed mine a couple of weeks ago due to rough idling. it wasnt that bad tho. i tool the throttle body off and went ahead and replaced the TPS. i called advance and it was only 32 bucks so i figured what the heck while i had all that stuff already off my truck. if you look at your TB the TPS is the plug on the top right hand side of it, and im not sure what the bottom plug is but i took it off and cleaned that out as well. all i used was gumout carb cleaner and the blue shop paper towels( they tend to leave less lint) and a small screwdriver if needed to help scrape some of the build up off. but it was very easy took me about an hour maybe a lil more but just take your time clean any build up you can find off. i picked up about 2 mpg getting rid of the rough idle problem not to mention my truck is a lot less annoying now

Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Thanks for the input guys. I stopped at Auto Zone and picked up some Berryman B-12 Chem Tool Throttle boby cleaner and 2 bottles of Lucas oil injecter cleaner to add to the gas tank. I'm taking it it all apart tomorrow and checking over my CAI and all. I'll repost after the clean up. again thanks and stay cool, H-

Quick Reply: HELP!! Rough running/Idling problem