3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

e-fan installed on 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one are you looking at moe's dedogg? The flex 180 extreme is $234 (add to cart to verify price) and should have everything you need and flow enough to keep you cool when towing.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ur right I was a hundred off. The variable controller is used to adjust what?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by chambers
Which one are you looking at moe's dedogg? The flex 180 extreme is $234 (add to cart to verify price) and should have everything you need and flow enough to keep you cool when towing.
Thats a top of the line fan, I am really enjoying mine.

dedogg ur right I was a hundred off. The variable controller is used to adjust what?
The controller that comes with the extreme adjust the temp you want the fan to come on.

Last edited by BEAR; 08-22-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by dedogg
ur right I was a hundred off. The variable controller is used to adjust what?
A variable controller is nice to have with the e-fan. It allows you to adjust the temp at which the fan turns on and off. When I installed my 180 stat the adjustable controller allowed me to change the temp that the fan goes on at to match the new temp of my thermostat.

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mikie (09-21-2021)
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

so without the controller the fan comes on to a factory set temp setting and with the controller I can make the fan come on at what ever temp I want, right???

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE TO UPDATE
Last week, the wife and I took an 800 mile round trip from S. Louisiana to Little Rock, AR. Outside temps were 79 - 93 degrees along the way and dependent on time of day. We did as many stops as we wanted and left the truck idling for 15-20 minute periods quite often.

The fan did its job quite well keeping the temp needle below the half way mark on gauge (this was the place when high temp t-stat was installed). Never had an overheat problem.

I had concern that the fan running after the key is turned off would be problematic for the battery during long hot trips. Never sensed that the battery was weak when starting up in the morning or any other time.

My last test will be to hook up the horse trailer and do a good multi-hour tow job. If all is successful with that in hot South La. then my confidence level will be super good.

Sorry I have not provided pics - I am offshore now and didn't get around to it before I left.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dedogg
so without the controller the fan comes on to a factory set temp setting and with the controller I can make the fan come on at what ever temp I want, right???
I don't think it will come on at all w/o a controller to tell it when to come on, unless you just want to leave it running all the time. The easiest way to do the e-fan is to get the flex180 extreme kit that comes w/ the controller and everything you need from moes, airram, or wherever. You can go w/ a junkyard fan, cheap controller, and everything else for a little over $100, but it's more of a pain to mount the fan this way b/c you have to fab up your own brackets.

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mikie (09-21-2021)
Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can control the e-fan a couple of ways:
1) direct wire to on/off switch in cab: you control on/off when you want
does not require temp probe of any type
2) fixed temp controller: non-adjustable, pre-determined temp switch.
will have a temp probe in radiator fins or direct into coolant
3) adjustable temp controller: adjusts the temp which "fan is on"
has pre-determined off temp (10-15 below "on" temp)
has temp probe in radiator fins or direct into coolant
4) variable speed adjustable controller: adjustable temp "fan on"
initial"fan on" speed is usually 50-60% of full
fan goes to 100% about 10-15 degrees higher
has temp probe in radiator fins or coolant

You can put in an override on/off with any controller if needed I believe.
You can also put your main power two ways:
1) switched power: available only when key is turned on
2) unswitched power: direct tap off of battery (you need a on/off switch or a controller to go this route so that it just doesn't run down the battery).

I don't recall finding any fan system that had a controller "built-in". You can buy some fan "set ups" like the Black Magic or Black Magic Extreme that have the controller as part of the kit ... but don't just get a fan expecting that it does have a controller.

If you are uncertain about what you are getting into, getting the "kit" type is probably best but may cost a tad more ... you get the controller, fan and wiring as put together by someone else and then your job is the install.

I have a bit of a tinkerer nature to me so I experimented with what I wanted to put together and how I wanted it to work.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
jw2010

Where did you put/mount the sensor and what size is it?(3/8 npt 1/2 npt)

Originally Posted by rovman
I installed my e-fan to my truck on Saturday. The basic outline of what I wanted/did is:

1) I wanted a cheaper alternative to the "dual-fan" setups offered by the market --- I wanted fan/controller to be under $300.
2) I wanted a new fan so I would know the performance of the fan to judge effectiveness.
3) I wanted to keep factory shroud --- new fan should mimic location of factory clutch fan.
4) I wanted minimal amp draw/maximum fan output to avoid battery/charging issues.

I purchased a Perma-Cool 18" HP fan. 2500cfm (0 static press), 10 AMP draw, 2650rpm at 14.4 vdc.
I purchased a Perma-Cool adjustable controller w/screw in temp sensor.
I had to modify the frame of the fan mount legs, bending them such that the legs came out to the shroud. I drill four 1/4" holes in the shroud to secure the fan. There is apprx. 2.5" clearance of fan blade to shroud edge and apprx 4" clearance fan to radiator.

OUTCOME:
After starting truck and letting warm (still have factory temp indicator) to normal, I slowly dialed in the controller (I have 180 deg t-stat) so I let the temp come up to previous 195 tstat temp location on gauge. The fan clicked in w/o a major draw on alternator/battery.

I let the truck run at idle for around 30 minutes to notice the fan cycle on/off several times. I then took the truck out for a short drive to watch the temp gauge for overheat indication or a problem of fan to keep up with constant heat of engine.

After two days and some good stop/go driving, I have not noticed an inability of the fan to maintain and consistent temperature of the engine. As noted above, I set the controller so that idling the truck will get apprx 195 degrees but driving along, the temp comes lower ... this was to prevent the need of the fan to stay on or cycle while driving --- incoming air would be sufficient say above 15-20 mph. So far -- so good ... this methodology is working well.

PERFORMANCE:
Engine at start up is so much more quiet.
Engine idle is much more stable (had battery disconnected during install so idle jury is out --- may be PCM learning curve).
Engine revs nicely --- quick tap on accelerator results in quick tap of RPM. The RPM drop down is nicer as well --- not a lingering RPM as before.

On the road, the "butt-o-meter" senses a nicer take-off from stop (manual tranny) w/o the lug down previously right at full clutch engage. I find a lower RPM take-off (normal driving) is smoother. Climbing RPM and through the gears, the RPM is smoother and without the clutch fan "swoosh" ... smoother RPM take-up/drop-down seems to make shifting smooter as well (again, normal driving). Between 35-55mph, the engine is very quiet and the RPM "seems" a tad lower by 100rpm or so but this could be in my head. Throttle response is 3rd/4th gears is much improved. I can move 35-50mph in 4th much quicker than with the clutch fan.

Being a little more aggressive with the accelerator, I find the throttle response much, much better. I still want to open the engine rpm a little with headers and cam later but take-up 2500-3500rpm is quick. Put this with the better shifting of the gears and my quad-cab has some get up an go.

I still have not put this thru the testing that I feel totally comfortable with my job --- I need to hook-up my horse trailer and roll with it for a couple hundred miles and do some stop/go with it hitched. This will give me my comfort factor I am looking for.

I will put together some pics later today if the sun is bright enough to get good ones.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by chambers
I don't think it will come on at all w/o a controller to tell it when to come on, unless you just want to leave it running all the time. The easiest way to do the e-fan is to get the flex180 extreme kit that comes w/ the controller and everything you need from moes, airram, or wherever. You can go w/ a junkyard fan, cheap controller, and everything else for a little over $100, but it's more of a pain to mount the fan this way b/c you have to fab up your own brackets.

^^^^^ This is the way to go. 3300 cfm and only 18 amp draw and all the right parts that you need. Been running a flex-a-lite Black Magic Extreme 183 for 5 years now and works perfectly and mounts inside the existing shroud. Plus flex-a-lite has great customer service, and is a proven company for decades. Im glad you made something work, but I'll stick to what I Know works in the long haul

Quick Reply: e-fan installed on 4.7L