3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any idea of how to get glue off paint job

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
VP64
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any idea of how to get glue off paint job

so one of our suv happen to have 2 glue lines dripping down the side of the hood. there is a puddle of glue starting between the windshield wipers and ends with splashes on the bumper.
the suv is black so the stains turn up white. I dont know how it happened or what it is exactly but it doesnt come off the paint. the glue did drip onto the front bumper which is plastic material with no paint and i was able to scrape it off but the hood ones dont come off.

it maybe be from a tree or someone could of done it on purpose since we have been vandalized before. I am going to try to get it off this week so any advice on how to get it off without scratching.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

If I were trying to remove glue from paint at work, what I would do is get some All Purpose Cleaner, and clean around it. Then grab some Decal and Label remover, first checking to see how the paint reacts to it in a non-visible area with paint on it. If safe, take some on a rag, and lightly blot on and around it. Hoping to get some of the remover to get underneath the paint for removal. Never using force and going quickly, because that will cause the glue to scratch the paint if it comes off. Also, before getting too involved in saturating the glue, I'd double check the paint to be sure nothing has happened to it to cause permanent stains or damage.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

scrape it with a razor blade if your good enough. that's what i would do but most end up scratching it all to hell. Patience and a steady hand.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goo gone or WD-40 should do it.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
scrape it with a razor blade if your good enough. that's what i would do but most end up scratching it all to hell. Patience and a steady hand.
That's what I will do when I fell steady enough. I actually did that today, my knife though is more than sharp enough to scrape it all off without scratching, depending upon the pressure.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

try never dull by eagle one, it took house paint off my black paint without much work and its only 4$ at walmart

Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Scarriere

When I de-badged my truck, I asked a Bro' what to use. He said Goof-off. I used that carerfully and had a pail of car wash soap and water which I used immediately after each decal. For piece of mind, I went to the car wash after I was done.
It worked well.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
man you better have a steady hand. i debadged my truck and thought i could take off the glue with a razor and now im paying a body shop almost a grand to fix the scratches in my doors and tailgate. if i were you id use 3m adhesive remover and soak that bitch like no other, than rub it to death and make sure to alternate fingers or youll get blisters....

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
man you better have a steady hand. i debadged my truck and thought i could take off the glue with a razor and now im paying a body shop almost a grand to fix the scratches in my doors and tailgate. if i were you id use 3m adhesive remover and soak that bitch like no other, than rub it to death and make sure to alternate fingers or youll get blisters....
I don't use razors, but my regular knife, and having a sharp enough knife to scrape it off works really great. Plus you don't have all of the surface of the razor blade on the body panels. If you use a knife, just make sure that it's sharp.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

WD-40 works like a charm for glue and gum. Doesn't hurt the paint either. I used it on my truck to take off some baked on gum that was flung across the whole passenger side.

Quick Reply: any idea of how to get glue off paint job