3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem - Starts fine, then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009 | 01:20 PM
LinerJoe
|
Veteran

Ironhead - well, I can only hope it's not that. I'm actually not sure if it's still under warranty or not. I guess I need to verify that.

I will probably undertake removing the gas tank tonight (assuming it's not raining).

Anyone have any suggestions for removing the tank? I suppose I should buy a shop manual.

joe

Old 08-19-2009 | 02:04 PM
LinerJoe
|
Veteran

Just verified that it's still under warranty until Dec 14th. I guess it's time to call the 800 number and get towed to the nearest dealer. The previous closest dealer is no longer a Dodge dealership, so I've never had any work done at these others... hopefully they are ok.

joe

Old 08-19-2009 | 03:03 PM
LinerJoe
|
Veteran

Ok, I think the mystery is solved. It appears to be a bad key. I read on another thread that a bad key would exhibit the same symptoms. I called my wife and started it with the other key and drove it up and down the driveway (which I certainly couldn't do as it would die almost instantly).

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to get the key replaced (assuming it really is defective). I will do some more testing when I get home.

So it doesn't sound like it really is a fuel-delivery problem, instead, a key immobilisation issue.

I will update this thread when I get the final verdict.

joe

Old 08-19-2009 | 03:43 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Damn security systems! It's a good thing you found that thread before deciding to tear the tank out. You would think they would put another light on the dash(one that looks like a key maybe) so you know right off if it's a security or mechanical issue. Hell, even my snowmobile will tell you if you have the wrong key on it.

Old 08-19-2009 | 05:54 PM
LinerJoe
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Last of the 5.9s
Damn security systems! It's a good thing you found that thread before deciding to tear the tank out. You would think they would put another light on the dash(one that looks like a key maybe) so you know right off if it's a security or mechanical issue. Hell, even my snowmobile will tell you if you have the wrong key on it.
That would certainly make it easier, wouldn't it? I am also very glad that I happened to see that other head, because it didn't occur to me otherwise.

joe

Old 08-19-2009 | 06:24 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well hopefully the dealer would have figured it out before dropping your gas tank. Where did the bad key come from?

Old 08-20-2009 | 04:31 AM
VP64
Captain

maybe it just needed a womans touch

Old 08-20-2009 | 12:38 PM
LinerJoe
|
Veteran

Ok, been to the dealer, and they replaced my failed key. It took an hour. I think they were trying to reprogram my key, which didn't work, so they ended up giving me a new one.

In any case, truck runs great now!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

joe

Old 08-20-2009 | 02:17 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LinerJoe
Ok, been to the dealer, and they replaced my failed key. It took an hour. I think they were trying to reprogram my key, which didn't work, so they ended up giving me a new one.

In any case, truck runs great now!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

joe
No, Thank You! Now we know one more thing to check before ripping into the fuel system. If that was me I'd probably be laying in the driveway right now, covered in gas, scratching my head and saying "NOW WHAT??". Then when I finally did figure out the problem I'd have to kick my own a$$.

Quick Reply: Problem - Starts fine, then stalls