3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Airbag Ponderings

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009 | 09:20 AM
JoshGotaHemi
|
Rookie
Default Rear Airbag Ponderings

Hey guys,

I got my lift kit yesterday, and the airbags are coming today, so I'll be all set for a weekend of fun!! So here's my question for those of you who are running bags in the rear:

Is there enough travel in the bags to get an 1" or so of lift in the back end? The lift kit is 4"-5.5", I installed a rear add a leaf when I put the leveling kit on, so I assume that the truck will be pretty close to level when I put the front lift on. But if I'm around an inch or so low can I use the bags to pump the back up, or will I have to put a longer leaf spring in?

And will I need any of those spacers to get the bags to fit with that rear add a leaf? I think the add a leaf brought me up 1.5-2", I've heard some people say you need a spacer that is equivalant to the lift you have, and I've heard others say that the bags(and brackets) have enough play/adjustment to make up for about 3" of lift. Curious to hear what you guys have run into.

Old 08-20-2009 | 09:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

What bags did you get? I know the Air Lift Ride Controls mount above the leafs and at the side of the frame, so lift, whether it be suspension or body or both, is not an issue.
The Firestone's and the Air Lift 5000k kit will not work with a lift, or at least would require substantial modifying.

As far as getting lift from the bags, if I completely fill my bags to their 100# capacity (which btw, 40# is as high as I ever needed and that was to tow a 7700# tractor on a dual axle trailer), I get about 7/8" of lift in the rear.
I'd hate to think I'd have to drive around with the bags at full capacity just for lift. Put a 1" block in it if you need the lift...

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:20 AM
JoshGotaHemi
|
Rookie

I got the Firestone bag's, the guy sent me a pair of 2" spacers that attach between the lower airspring mount and the airspring, he said that would take care of the lift in the back and allow me to use the bags on the truck. The lift kit came with a 2" block, but that would jack the back end higher than the front, so maybe I'll run over to PepBoys and get a 1" block to level things out, I'm not trying to ghetto rig it, I want to do it right, so I guess I'll install the front lift and see where I'm at from there.

The instructions for the Firestone bags makes it look like they mount similairly as the Air Lift's, on top of the leaf and on the side of the frame. But either way, it should be a fun weekend!!

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:41 AM
JoshGotaHemi
|
Rookie

You're right, I just looked at the bracket and it's mounts underneath the frame, so it gets sandwhiched between the leaf and frame... I guess it's good I have those spacers

Quick Reply: Rear Airbag Ponderings