DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   04 qc cam swap advice!!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/211968-04-qc-cam-swap-advice.html)

NjRaM 08-25-2009 06:05 PM

04 qc cam swap advice!!!

Alright guys i want to upgrade the cams, and getting a Tc with the setup. My question is what cam setup would be best for my 04 Ram, and what problems do i have to worry about when i upgrade my cams? what i mean is will it throw some DTC's codes or will it make me fail inspection? I just seed some imput because this will be my first time ugrading cams....Help me out!!!!! I was on moesperformance.com and i was looking at the "crazy jays" setup but i just want to make sure i'm making the right choice....Setup aint cheap.:icon_teeth:

HammerZ71 08-25-2009 06:15 PM

well it's a Hemi, so it's singular - CAM.

Depends on your use, and how aggressive you want to go. But any cam that is gonna do anything for a heavy QC 4x4 is gonna require a tune.
The only real cam choice for you (and no, the 6.1 Hemi cam would be lousy for all but RCSB 4x2s) would be a Comp 260, can get by with all the other stock parts, although I'd personally opt for stronger springs and can be tuned with a SC or canned Diablo tuner. Anything much more aggressive than that and it's custom tune and I think if you alter the A/F ratio, you run the risk of failing inspection. Dunno, maybe someone from an inspection state with a cam upgrade will chime in...

NjRaM 08-25-2009 06:19 PM

I am going to upgrade the springs and rods but you think with my mods the 260 would be the best? Will there be noticable gains in the Hp.

Off_Road_Teacher 08-25-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by NjRaM (Post 1781658)
I am going to upgrade the springs and rods but you think with my mods the 260 would be the best? Will there be noticable gains in the Hp.

If you want a production cam that is more agressive than the 260 but will still run on a canned tune from a SC you could go with the Sidewinder. It is a good cam with strong torque down low while still giving good power in the higher RPM range. Very good cam for a heavy qc 4x4. Or you could always contact one of these cam vendors and get a custom grind done to fit your exact needs and mods.

truckin151 08-25-2009 06:27 PM

You can also go with the spartan cam as well. You also need to do something a bout a tuner as well because the spartan will require a custom tune and upgraded internals (springs/rods). The crazyjay cam is a mellow cam and can be ran with little to no problems with a standard tuner, although an actual tune will net you more gains than a canned tune will.

04-fourseven 08-25-2009 07:26 PM

My number one piece of advice is to have somebody else install it. lol. Good luck with your shopping, and let us know what you come up with

NjRaM 08-25-2009 08:00 PM

I looked at the spartan cam but for what im looking for it might be alittle too aggressive..I'll be wasting WAY too much money on gas with that upgrade...lol thats why i looked at the smaller cams....04-fourseven i aint going to install it, it would take weeks..lol my bro in law is a mechanic. he's the one doing the work. i will def. post when i choice and install the cam's...hopefully within the next week...