3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 qc cam swap advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:05 PM
NjRaM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 qc cam swap advice!!!

Alright guys i want to upgrade the cams, and getting a Tc with the setup. My question is what cam setup would be best for my 04 Ram, and what problems do i have to worry about when i upgrade my cams? what i mean is will it throw some DTC's codes or will it make me fail inspection? I just seed some imput because this will be my first time ugrading cams....Help me out!!!!! I was on moesperformance.com and i was looking at the "crazy jays" setup but i just want to make sure i'm making the right choice....Setup aint cheap.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

well it's a Hemi, so it's singular - CAM.

Depends on your use, and how aggressive you want to go. But any cam that is gonna do anything for a heavy QC 4x4 is gonna require a tune.
The only real cam choice for you (and no, the 6.1 Hemi cam would be lousy for all but RCSB 4x2s) would be a Comp 260, can get by with all the other stock parts, although I'd personally opt for stronger springs and can be tuned with a SC or canned Diablo tuner. Anything much more aggressive than that and it's custom tune and I think if you alter the A/F ratio, you run the risk of failing inspection. Dunno, maybe someone from an inspection state with a cam upgrade will chime in...

Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 PM
NjRaM

I am going to upgrade the springs and rods but you think with my mods the 260 would be the best? Will there be noticable gains in the Hp.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NjRaM
I am going to upgrade the springs and rods but you think with my mods the 260 would be the best? Will there be noticable gains in the Hp.
If you want a production cam that is more agressive than the 260 but will still run on a canned tune from a SC you could go with the Sidewinder. It is a good cam with strong torque down low while still giving good power in the higher RPM range. Very good cam for a heavy qc 4x4. Or you could always contact one of these cam vendors and get a custom grind done to fit your exact needs and mods.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You can also go with the spartan cam as well. You also need to do something a bout a tuner as well because the spartan will require a custom tune and upgraded internals (springs/rods). The crazyjay cam is a mellow cam and can be ran with little to no problems with a standard tuner, although an actual tune will net you more gains than a canned tune will.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

My number one piece of advice is to have somebody else install it. lol. Good luck with your shopping, and let us know what you come up with

Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
NjRaM

I looked at the spartan cam but for what im looking for it might be alittle too aggressive..I'll be wasting WAY too much money on gas with that upgrade...lol thats why i looked at the smaller cams....04-fourseven i aint going to install it, it would take weeks..lol my bro in law is a mechanic. he's the one doing the work. i will def. post when i choice and install the cam's...hopefully within the next week...

Quick Reply: 04 qc cam swap advice!!!