3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

battery or alternator ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 AM
bdiddy80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery or alternator ?

My truck wouldnt start last night so I had to get a jump. After I got a jump and got the engine running, I noticed that the lights on the dash board were flickering on and off. Is this a battery problem or an alternator problem?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If it wont start then you already know you have a battery issue. I would start from there. Take it to AutoZone or Advance or PBs and get them to check it all out.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 AM
kev2
Veteran

agree...

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

liights should have been fine once you got running (alternator should have kept it up). might be the alternator too. is the battery light on the dash lit?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If it wont start then you already know you have a battery issue. I would start from there. Take it to AutoZone or Advance or PBs and get them to check it all out.

Bad alternator can still drain a perfectly good battery.
However, if you did bring it in for a check/charge then they will tell you or not if it's holding a charge.
If the battery is deemed good, then i would pick up an alternator while your there.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And a bad battery will wear out a good alternator. Yeppir, get 'em both checked. That'll be an expensive combo if you have to get both. Anyway, the alternator should be "cave man easy" to change.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

After jump starting the lights may flicker the alt is on or off thats all a low battery will let you see this happen cummins drivers notice this on cold starts when it takes a lot to start. the alt and pcm maintain battery voltage but there is no regulator The pcm takes care of it have the charging sys checked after you have a good charge or a new battery

Quick Reply: battery or alternator ?