3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me tow

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr650rider
Hey sorry to say it, but I didn't get the big warning slip in the package. Nor did I come accross that anywhere on their site. I do get the warning not to tow for the mileage XS tune, but the only warning I get for the performance tune is to use 91 or higher octane. As far as the user guide that came with my Cortex goes, under "Performance - Cars, Trucks, and SUV's", it states "Tuner will display Tow Limits, if applicable. Do not exceed." And believe it or not, the tuner does not display any tow limits when I set the tune. So yeah, maybe they could be a little more clear. Or do they expect you to search every obscure internet forum on their product. i.e. http://www.flashpaq.com/forum/viewto...ghlight=towing?
Again thanks for the info...I do appreciate it.
we have a SC thread on top of this page ..allot of sc people that work for SC on there post this there for the owners they will clean it up for ya.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it says not to tow on the performance setting in the manual...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
dr650rider
Question

Can anybody who has regeared tell me what kind of issues to expect...like speedo and odometer error...trouble downshifting/upshifting...Will I need a special tune to correct these things? I've read that some people still have issues even with a tuner...Also, for those of you running 4:56 gears, what's your RPM's like @ 70 mph. I have the 5 spd tranny so I realize mine might be higher or lower, but I don't want to be screaming down the highway @ 70 mph.....BTW, thanks for the above-mentioned warnings about towing with the performance tune. I probably should have taken a closer look at the manual but I never gave it a thought...not the first time I overlooked something important though... Thanx again.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Most people with issues with gear changes who have a tuner, have a vehicle that reads off the tranny for the speedometer/odemeter. Our trucks read off the ring gear, so you'll have no problem setting it with your Superchips.

There is a lot of poor speculation going around that 4.56s will have you revving crazy high on the interstates. The truth is, I'm up around 400 rpm at 70mph from when I had stock tires on my stock 3.92 gears. Maybe enough to be down 1/2 MPG while cruising 75+ mph, topps!
That little bit of extra rpms will mean a LOT less upshifting and downshifting while towing because it will get you into the Hemi's rpm "sweet spot" faster and keep you in that zone longer.
If you can afford to do it, re-gear, you won't regret it!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 AM
dr650rider

So will I need to use the tuner to rectify some issues...I mean I certainly plan to, but what if I need to return it to stock to take it in to the shop?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You won't even need to use the tuner to recalibrate unless you also change tire sizes. As stated, because our trucks read off the ring gear, and not the tranny, a gear swap will not necessitate any tranny tuning changes.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
dr650rider

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure before spending that much cash. It'll probably be a little while, but I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks a lot for the advice!