3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Problem...

So yesterday I had my 30k transmission service done. I figured since I had Royal Purple in the rear and engine, I may as well put it in the tranny... Had the trans flushed and the the filter replaced. Fast forward to today, I'm driving home from work, make a right hand turn and bang...When I hit the gas she rev's up but doesn't want to move. I try shifting into 1st, 2nd, Reverse, and does same thing in every gear....Drove fine when I picked it up yesterday and was fine on the way to work this morning. I call the shop that did the work and come to find out he didn't replace the spin on filter...Would this cause the trans to slip that bad, as to where it can't find a gear? Maybe the RP is too slippery for the trans? (even though I know a few people haven't had any problems with it) Any Ideas? The mechanic is as stumped as I am..

BTW...I did throw 4 codes. P0700 which is a general Trans Code I believe. Also had 3rd and 4th gear incorrect ratio codes, and the Trans Fluid sensor/switch code. Could it just be the sensor took a sh*t?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use RP in my trans also but if they left off a filter and you have damage, then they owe you a new trans. My RP has never given any issues. And think about it this way. If the oil is going through the filter then it is going in it, getting filtered and going out to somewhere. Without the filter the pump is still pushing oil in the filter (thats not there and getting dumped back in the pan) but its not getting pumped to where ever it is it is needed and thus the damage. You sir, need to go talk to a shop manager or higher.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
MeTaL
Rookie

Well, I don't think he left the filter off, I think it's more of a He didn't change the spin on filter at all. Waiting for him to get in to the shop today to look at it some more, but he picked it up last night and said it looks like it is over fluid by 2-3 quarts, but that is just by looking at the stick.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM
V10Venom
Captain

Sounds like they overfilled it and messed it up.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
MeTaL
Rookie

ok...finally heard back from the shop. He said that there is a different code now, something about the prime (pump not getting any fluid). Also, apparently the solenoids inside the trans are operating backwards (not exactly sure what that means) but in first gear, 1, 3, and 5 are supposed to be open...2 and 4 closed (don't think that is what first is or not, was just using as an example). Well mine is the complete opposite and its like that for every gear. He has a friend of his, trans guy, on the way to the shop now.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
MeTaL
Rookie

haha well they figured it out...the P.O.S. Napa filter doesn't fit snug inside the trans, causing the pump to suck air and no fluid...

Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeTaL
haha well they figured it out...the P.O.S. Napa filter doesn't fit snug inside the trans, causing the pump to suck air and no fluid...
Glad to hear you got it figured out. It is amazing how the smallest thing can cause the biggest problems.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
draco8494
Captain

wow, glade you didint blow a tranny, that would have sucked lol

Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeTaL
Did they actually show you this or just tell you that was the problem? I would think NAPA would have been aware of this problem from others having the same issue. I would contact NAPA b/c it kinda sounds like the shop may have screwed up and is trying to cover their *** and blame it on the filter.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

they did not seat the filter they did change and it will cause a loss of prime and trans to slip. If it's installed correct (even a crapy napa filter) loss of prime wont happen. When the guy did your service he prob replaced the filter seal but did not get it in like it should and the filter drops out of the seal and bam loss of prime

Quick Reply: Trans Problem...