3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New here. 4.7 ac compressor clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
drkilldrmz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. 4.7 ac compressor clutch issue

Hello All. My 2002 ram 1500 4.7 has a noisy ac compressor clutch in it. Dealer wants $235 and change for just the Clutch/pully for it. it is replaceable without replacing the entire thing. Seems the auto parts stores in my area all carry just the entire compressor/clutch assembly. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket option, or bypass pulley that would not require removing the entire assembly?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think $235 which includes parts/labor to have functional A/C is well worth it if you cannot do it yourself. Try and sell a vehicle with and w/out A/C. You'll retain much more of a value if you keep your A/c functional.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
drkilldrmz

doesn't seem like a difficult job to do.. there is a nut dead center of the clutch pulley..It's the price of the part that kills me. Was thinking of putting a smaller belt on it to bypass, until i get the cash up for replacement. But you are making sense.. Thanks for the reply..Ac seems to be the root of all evil..

Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
drkilldrmz

Well..I have ordered an aftermarket Comressor and clutch assembly online for a good Price. My truck was making so much noise this morning that i could not drive it to work. So..The part is scheduled to arrive today. My plan is to remove the clutch from the new assembly, and re-install in my truck so i don't need to go thru the hassle of evacuating the system. If anyone has done this, (put a compressor clutch on) i would be very very greatfull for any advice or instruction. I don't have the luxury of bringing it to a mechanic because my hours at work are crazy, and everyone is booked a week out. Thanks in advance, and wish me luck.

Quick Reply: New here. 4.7 ac compressor clutch issue